• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Can creativity be learned?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The title says it all. I believe that most people are born with a natural talent. For example: Some people simply can't learn how to draw well. I know that I can barely draw wireframe and cartoony looking pictures when I try. It's a step above stick figures. I've never been much of a creative when it comes to art, music, and so on.

If I had to pick some way that I am creative it would be that I'm great idea man. I'm good at taking something and coming up with ideas to improve it.

dDave

V.I.P.
As a student of story and writing for my entire life I do think that it can and in fact has to be learned to some extent. It really helps to have some natural ability. The thing that really can't be learned is the passion for whatever your craft is. Without that to drive you, you'll never learn to be creative.

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Creativity can't be learned, but it can also be either domesticated and refined.

Allow me to explain.

I don't think everybody is creative. Then there are people who would call themselves creative, but the general public isn't really into what they are making. Sure, they are doing creative things, but it's not something others find interesting or worthwhile. To these people, changing how they create would be the equivalent of selling out. They'd claim domestication in the sense that they think they are wolves and to change how they create would be changing who they are and becoming lapdogs.

Then there are the true creatives. And by that, all I mean is this: then there are the creatives who also understand their audience.

Steve Jobs said it best: "People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page."

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
I know I can't be taught how to draw well. I just wasn't born with the talent to draw.

I know a guy who is real talented at drawing. He believes that anyone can get real good at it.

But if he had a lack of talent to draw like me, I'm sure he would think differently about it.

dDave

V.I.P.
I know I can't be taught how to draw well. I just wasn't born with the talent to draw.

I know a guy who is real talented at drawing. He believes that anyone can get real good at it.

But if he had a lack of talent to draw like me, I'm sure he would think differently about it.
I guess we all have a tendency to think that the things we are good with must be easy for everyone. Something that is easy for me isn't necessarily easy for other people. Probably comes down to a whole bunch of variables, many of which likely haven't even been studied.

The problem with creativity is that a lot of people have never learned how to direct it and make it work for them. Just because you paint doesn't mean you're good at it. I would venture to say most of the writers out there don't understand who they're writing to and fail miserably because of it. On top of that, may writers just plain suck at writing. I see it in the media all the time, egregious grammatical errors in articles linked off the front page of a major news organization, they're all guilty of it. We are so stuck on produce produce produce that we don't stop to even do quality checks. When quantity is more important than quality, creativity dies, in most cases.

Impaired

Registered Member

I believe anyone can learn to draw. Like anything else, you need 10,000 hours of practice to be any good.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
You can be creative, and suck at whatever your chosen art is. I say suck loosely though because whether art is good or not is subjective. When I say art, I also don't specifically mean painting, drawing etc. Music is an artform, something like dance can be an artform. Any form of art is a form of creativity, because you're presenting or attempting to convey an idea in a form different than original. Writing a song about a memorable event, painting a picture of something you remember. Thats creativity. So what if your picture of a flower doesn't look like a flower per say, you were still creative.

Can creativity be learned? Not really, because we're all born creative. That's what separates us from lesser mammals that thrive on instinct. Animals will do the same thing the same way because they know where it leads. Humans will find new paths to get to the same place. Put a wall in an animals way and they eventually stop trying to break through after they exhaust what they know. A human will keep trying to think up new ways. We're all creative. So can creativity be learned? I don't think so, but I think one can learn to tap into it more.

Skill and creativity aren't connected really. I know some REALLY skilled artists, who need a model. They're really practised and good at recreating what they see on paper. Skilled definitely, but I wouldn't call that creative. Creativity comes from trying new things that you wouldn't normally. Creativity is exploring and seeing what you get instead of fitting things to the norm. Thinking outside the box. Want to be more creative? Try using yellow instead of blue for the sky, or play some chords that normally shouldn't go together. fuck the rules, and explore your art. Don't worry about how it lines up to other 'accepted' forms.

You don't learn to be creative, you learn to tap into the creativity that's already there. Yah, some do it naturally, some need to strengthen the muscle. Just enjoy creating, no matter the result. The product is for other people, the process is for you :)

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
The title says it all. I believe that most people are born with a natural talent. For example: Some people simply can't learn how to draw well. I know that I can barely draw wireframe and cartoony looking pictures when I try. It's a step above stick figures. I've never been much of a creative when it comes to art, music, and so on.

If I had to pick some way that I am creative it would be that I'm great idea man. I'm good at taking something and coming up with ideas to improve it.
Artistic ability can be learned, it just takes time, the right instruction, and lots of practice. As far as the imagination that backs up creativity, this can be learned also to a certain degree through inspiration and initially imitation. Once you begin to grasp how to emulate certain styles or themes or draw inspiration from certain sources it is natural to begin to combine ideas in ways that are uniquely you. I used to only be able to draw cartoon style characters. When I was a kid I began teaching myself how to sketch horses using tracing paper book covers featuring horses. I actually got quite good, but never stuck with it.

I've long had a saying... The moment you accept your limitations is the moment you have limitations.

Remember as you go that's it's okay to suck when just getting started. You won't become a Rembrandt overnight, the objective is only to suck a little less over time as you learn and refine your ability to put into practice new skills.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I think we have natural talent too and it's not so much as learning it that brings it out but providing opportunities to practice (more like skills building) to "awaken" our creative juices.