Can a vet sue?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I was at the vet yesterday because my cat needed his anal glands "cleaned".

Long story short, when the vet picked my cat up, claws came out and went into his skin on his neck. Needless to say I had to pull the claw out. I apologized and felt pretty bad.

Later I thought as I was driving home, could vet sue for damages if an animal really got out of control at the vet, or do they realize that bites and scratches are part of the job?

Your thoughts?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'd say unless there was evidence that the animal was trained to attack, that they cannot sue as 1. Animals can never be 100% controlled and 2. They accept the risk of handling potentially angry and nervous animals.

wooly

I am the woolrus
It's part of the job. Our local vet told us he gets bitten almost every day.

On the other hand though, if people can sue mcdonald's for them being fat.... anything can happen. It'd be a pretty lousy vet that'd try it though.

Blueyes

Registered Member
I hold those kinds of incidents to the profession. They knew what they were getting into before they went into that. No animal is willingly gonna let some stranger poke and prod them willingly.

lolacherry

Registered Member
Its part of their job - animals are unpredictable and they know that so they know that at some point, they will get hurt on the job.
They are dealing with animals in pain or distress who cant voice their fears so naturally they will lash out when feeling threatened

if they dont want hurt, they need to take measures to ensure they cant get hurt.

Bliss

Sally Twit
I think it's part of their job and they have to be willing to accept that will sometimes happen. An animal will often become scared when someone tries to handle it in a way they don't like. They'd be in the wrong profession if they would sue over something like that.