Cam Love

Discussion in 'Dating & Relationships' started by EasySkanking, Aug 18, 2010.

1. EasySkanking

EasySkanking Registered Member

My friend told me a few days ago that she had fallen for a boy that she had met over the internet. He lives in another country, and the feeling is mutual...they both like each other a lot. He is willing to come over and visit.

She asked what i though and i honestly didnt know what to say.

Is it possible to fall in love with someone youve only ever seen on cam?

What do you think about long distance relationships like this?

2. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

We've had tons of threads like these.

I'm not saying that is impossible, but I don't think I could call it "love" without having met the person, at first.
    I'd call it lust, and falling in love through Internet is an illusion.

3. EasySkanking

yeah i mentioned that it might not be possible to fall in love without ever meeting them... but she said that being on cam was almost the same, although she did admit that the 'love' would probably be stronger if they did meet in person.

I'll just avoid the topic when i see her xD

4. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

So, she has met the guy on the internet but has only seen him on cam? Did they meet on a site like uhh, StickAM or chat roulette? What was the basis of the meeting? How deep is it? Exchanging e-mails, messenger flirtation, FB? I don't know about you, but if my friend asked a serious question like that I'd need to get the facts straight - Because if looks is the determine factor here, then they will both be disappointed.

I've got two in real life friends that have married women they met in chat rooms. Granted, those women were also within a driving distance of say, 1 hour. On the other hand, I've a friend in Ireland dating a girl in Illinois, USA. He flies there as often as he can. I've also got a friend in Georgia who was dating a girl in Denmark, and he too flies there when he can. They separated but he has friends he likes to visit and still flies out.

Out of all those mentioned, only my friend in Ireland has the said relation still going on. Anything can work, but international is a lot harder.

5. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

I disagree. Love is about making a connection with someone for who they are. Even on the internet, you can't hide your real personality for too long. Not all internet relationships start on webcams, so it can't just be labelled as pure lust, either.

6. Puck

Puck Registered Member

I wouldn't call it an illusion, but an over excited feeling of being 'in like' with someone.

Personally, I don't think the internet is that horrible a way for people to meet. It takes away that "looks really are everything" stigma that most people try to tell themselves isn't true but are secretly thinking.
    People are much more honest with someone they've never met because it feels safer. If you've got that kind of relationship with someone online, while it may not be 'love', it sure can be close to it.
    I'm not all for the online thing, but I do believe it works for people, my aunt and uncle being two of them.

idisrsly and Oooh_snap like this.
  7. EasySkanking

Basically.... she made friends with someone on an online game... and they added each other so they could stay in touch when they finished playing... one day when they were on cam to each other his friend was there and there was 'something there' between them, so he added her and they got talking.

My friend hardly ever admits that she likes someone unless she really truthfully does like them a lot... so there must be something.

And yeah.. hes good looking, not amazing, but good. and ive talked to him and he does seem like a genuine guy, and theyre both open about their likes and dislikes etc. so its not as though they are hiding their personalities.

I was quite sceptical because of the 'not met in person' thing... but now im kind of like :-/ hmmm.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. Puck

Puck Registered Member

That's really all fine and well, but are they willing to give the distance a chance? I think that's usually where these kind of relationships fail.
    It may seem convenient now, but depending how far apart they are, it might become a hassle just to see each other. Are they both prepared for that?
    How long have they been talking?

If it were my friend (I've been there with friends before) I'd want to know every detail before she meets with him and know that they're both serious enough to try the distance thing, especially if it's international. Wherever he is, I'm sure it's a long way to go for him to go see her.

But in all honesty, I do hope it works out for her.

9. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

I agree with this. Look at this day and age, the world was built for people to find each other. Who cares where it starts.

Also, EasySkanking (love the handle btw <3), forgive me but I visited your profile and saw your age - are we to assume your friend is also 16? I'm not saying age is the most important key factor here, but it may help in giving advice.

10. EasySkanking

They have been talking for about 3 weeks....? maybe more.
    I was talking to the boy and he was really willing to come over and visit for aslong as needed... hes not short of money put it that way.

I hope it works out for her because she likes him A LOT if shes willing to go through all the hassle of him coming over.
    I think i'll just wait it out and see if he does actually come over.
    shes smart, she'll figure it out