Calvin Johnson "touchdown"

Discussion in 'NFL' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

We've touched this topic in the official season thread, but I believe it's a discussion we should have on it's own. I'm sure if you watch NFL you saw the suppose touchdown from Calvin Johnson at the end of the game against the Bears. If anyone can find a clip somewhere please post it for me.

It's clear that his two feet touched the ground, his knee/leg touched the ground and he had complete control of the ball. When he went to get up he dropped the ball. That to me isn't an incomplete pass, it's clear that he had possession and didn't bobble the ball at any time. Why does he have to come up with the ball after scoring a touchdown? Doesn't make any sense.

In your opinion, was it a touchdown or not?

2. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Should've been the Lions first win of the season, but it wasn't. Poor rule, poor call after the review, poor everything. And most of America agreed because last night on ESPN they said 82% of people thought taking back that TD was a bad idea.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't know exactly what the rule is, but it's a horrible rule. He had total control of the ball and was in bounds. There's no reason why that shouldn't be a touchdown. The Lions got screwed in my opinion, even if it was the correct enforcement of the rule.

4. Babe_Ruth

The same poll was posted on Foxsports, and 73% of the people said that it should of been a touchdown. I don't care what angle you look at the play from, it was clearly a touchdown.

I would agree with the ruling if he had bobble the ball, and wasn't in complete possession when he was getting up, but that wasn't the case. He did everything right, the only thing he didn't do was get up with the ball firmly in his hands, which I find it to be a terrible ruling.

5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I hate this rule. It's right up there with some of the bullshit roughing the kicker/passer calls.

Johnson deserved that touchdown. I think that it should be a catch if they have two feet down and possession of the ball. that's it. There is no reason for them to maintain control all of the way to the ground when they make such a clean catch.

6. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Just to clarify the rule for Echoes.

For it to be a touchdown, the receiver must keep control through the entire motion of the catch. The receiver needs to get both feet in, bring the ball in and get up still holding the ball.

Yes, it is a very stupid rule.. and it defiantly needs looked at, but I have a problem with a lot of rules the NFL has been implementing lately, so I'm somewhat biased.

7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

It's just another rule that takes the simplicity of something and makes it unnecessarily difficult for no reason other than just to kill time. Remember when a fumble back then was just a fumble, period?

8. Rapier

Rapier Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

YouTube - Calvin Johnson, not a TD

Absurd. It was obviously a second act as he flipped the ball with his fingers to make the ball spin. Players often do that.

He has the ball in both hands. He holds it in his right hand. He falls. Still in control of the ball with his right hand he breaks his fall with his left. Then as the ball nears the ground he flips it. If one looks closely the ball moves forward and doesn't bounce as it would if there wasn't impetus from Johnson.

Even if you perceive the ball hits the ground before he flips it he still has the control/possession to perform the required 'second act,' the flip, of the ball.

Also I see his breaking his fall with his left hand a conscious 'second act' after the ball was caught. The ball flip would be a third.

YouTube - Calvin Johnson TD Controversy - TYT Sports!

9. Babe_Ruth

I think this is one of the first times that me and you agree on something sports related Rapier, and probably will be the last LOL.

Anyway, I agree with you. It should of been a touchdown, and I don't understand how the refs didn't call it a TD. Even the people in the booth were saying that it was a bad call.

People, especially Bears fan say "well they had two plays afterwards to capitalize and they didn't" Actually they shouldn't, since it should of been a TD and they should of won that game.