Calling all debators, master debators, debate masters, and anyone else

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
ATTENTION ALL DEBATORS

If you have ever had a debate with me about anything, at this or any forum, or you haven't had one but would like to just for fun, then listen up.

I'm about to start writing a screenplay for a short film idea (10-20 min long), and the main conflict involves a bunch of people who get into stupid rambling debates with each other over a stupid situation. Now given my recent experience with such insanely dumb and yet strangly fascinating events on messageboards, I could probably start writing this thing myself and come out with something pretty damned good. However, why do that when I could get even MORE realistic and even MORE fascinating by incorporating real arguments with real people who've done this sort of thing? I figure it would be a great experiment to try out. If I'm going to have arguments anyways, might as well put them to good use. So if you want to argue with me just for fun over a situation that I give you, sign up in this thread and I will create a different thread in a private section of the forum where the actual in-character argument will take place. The situation would be basically the same as when we argue over real stuff on the messageboard, but with one twist, and that is that I GIVE you all the situation. So it's like role playing pretty much. That's the only difference. Well actually, you also couldn't bring up stuff from GC, PDC, or any stuff that relates to me or us specifically, but that shouldn't be in there anyhow. It's mainly just about playing devil's-advocate here.

Also, there's something else. At the school I'm going to, I recently ran into somebody who says that she recently had contact with a certain semi-big-name Hollywood actor. This was about two-three weeks ago. Now I don't know exactly how true this is because I don't know the person personally, but she seemed pretty honest and serious about it, so I suspect that there's a good chance it is true. Anyhow... this particular actor (who will remain nameless because everyone on this forum would recognize him as soon as I mentioned his name, and if you don't then you're not a true movie fan) is supposedly looking to do a short student film. Why? I have no idea. He's been in a whole bunch of stuff, nothing blockbuster, but still a whole shitload of stuff... so I'm thinking that he's probably interested in keeping into the whole independent filmmaking scene. He seems like the kind of actor who would do such a thing. So anyways, if this script turns out good enough, I will hand it to this person and see if the actor is interested. I know that the story I have in mind is fascinating, but as capable as I am, I'm looking for that realistic, down-to-earth edge that will help me push this thing over the top. My hardest question in any conflict building process is "how would the normal guy respond in this situation?" Well, that's what I'm after. I'm not all that "normal", as many of you know, so it's kinda hard for me to stoop down to find out (that's the long term effects of thinking too much throughout the course of a lifetime... curse and blessing at the same time.... yada yada...)

So sign up in this thread if you're interested. Questions are welcome too, but the only one I will not answer is the name of, or any clues referencing the identity of the actor. nothing at all on that one.

So if you're interested, sign up.

EDIT:

I also forgot to mention. If I write the script, the thing is great, and the actor accepts, and this thing actually gets made, then I will give credit to all who are involved. I doubt that there would be much money to be gained from this (making a film with this actor would be enough for me), but if there is, I will distribute that too. Of course, credit and amount would be determined by a careful consideration of the amount and directness of contribution, but all that is way up in the air. I'd be lucky to even get to the point where that becomes a real concern. But yeah... credit goes to where it's due... especially if I end up using people's lines exactly or incorporating a major idea or line of reasoning into key spots in the plot.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm too lazy to read that whole thing, but I'd be glad to argue about sports with you, whether it's for a purpose or not.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
umm.... well I can't say that the given scenario that I'm going to give you to argue over is sports-related because it isn't, BUT, you can still bring some of your "sports philosophy" that you used against me in the gamecomplex tournament ordeal. That kind of stuff was like the PERFECT arguing material to be using for this situation I have in mind. I'm already planning on going back on that argument and studying how it developed, but to take it up again and put it in a different context would be priceless. In other words, I wanna see this! :)

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
First I need to get everyone together who wants to participate. Once they're here, I'll create a new topic and give the scenario. And everyone will be arguing against me.... like normal :)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
What if we happen to agree with you on whatever subject we're supposed to argue about? Then we couldn't exactly argue "against" you.

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
well.... odds are that you will agree with me, but it doesn't matter. It's all about playing devils-advocate. Just find any old excuse whatsoever to disagree and run with it. And it's not over an "issue" like abortion, death penalty, etc. It's over a situation. I'm going to say "here's the setting, here's what happens, here's where you are and what you do in that situation, now JUSTIFY IT TO ME!!!" Trust me, it shouldn't be THAT incredibly hard to disagree with me in this situation that I have planned. It should be fun.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't really like disagreeing just to disagree, but we'll see what happens. By the way, I just made a good debate topic in the sports forum.