Calling all cooks...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngelsPeak, Apr 27, 2005.

1. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I am in need of kid friendly recipes. I can cook but it is sooo.. time consuming, and not something I really enjoy. I'm tired of quick pick up food (and feeling guilty about buying it all the time). Does anyone know of a sight I can go to, or do you have anything simple to share?

2. Msbabedoll

Msbabedoll Registered Member

I think this is pretty simple and painless and my kids love it!

Put a whole chicken in the crock pot and let it cook all day, take the chicken out and pour half the juice in a big pot on the stove and add one can of chicken broth and a can of cream of chicken soup. Let that come to a boil and while that is heating up, combine about two or so cups of self rise flour, a splash of oil and just enough buttermilk to make the batter sticky, drop spoonfuls of the sticky batter into the broth....reduce the heat to a med high now......after you get all your (dumplings) in the pot, debone your chicken and add it! It's REALLY good!

You dont want to batter to be runny now! You want it sticky so you can drop rounded spoonfulls of it into your broth! :)

Hope this helps some!

3. wolvergambit

wolvergambit Registered Member

I always thought I was a good cook until the other day when my son said to me, "YOU ARE LIKE DEBRA ON EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND", when he was referring to my cooking.
    THose of you who watch the show will know exactly what he meant by that comment and it wasn't a compliment. LOL

4. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

LMAO...I love that show!!! Hey, maybe that's why my family jumps at the chance to eat out! :lol:

Msbabedoll,
    You just made me feel nostalgic, my mom made the best dumplings, and I always loved chicken and dumpling night! When I think of them now, I picture windows covered in steam, the GREAT smell, and the warm fuzzy feeling that you only get when you think of home! Thank you for the recipe I will definitely try it!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  5. LicentiousVenus

LicentiousVenus Registered Member

something that i do that is quick and easy...just get some chicken, pork chops, or whatever...throw a few spices on them and toss them on a foreman or other similar appliance...while its cooking makes some mac and cheese in the microwave

6. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Hi all. Now this might sound strange but I cook with my son. We make all kinds of stuff. Have you made mozzarella chicken?

You need Chicken Breasts
    Pasta sauce
    Mozzarella cheese 1bolck in a half
    Egg noodles
    (Other cheeses optional)

You take chicken breast cook them in a pan till stiff (no wiggle when picked up)

Then you slice them down the middle (like a hot dog bun)

Place several strips of mozzarella in them. Close them up with toothpick (optional)

Next boil as much egg noodles, as your family needs.

Then place the noodles in a baking dish. Cover the noodles with sauce and cheese (save some sauce and cheese to cover chicken)

Next place the chicken on top of noodles (spread them out)

Put sauce and cheese on top and bake at 325 for 12-15 min or until cheese starts to bubble.

Add French bread and you got yourself an awesome family meal in 30 min

If you want more recipes I have a whole bunch.

Till next time

7. precision

precision Registered Member

Nightsurfer...that sounds pretty good, I may try that this weekend. I made some stuff last night that was pretty good.

4 boneless chicken breast, cut up into chunks
    1 1/3 cup uncooked rice
    1 can cream of celery soup
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    2 cans (from soup) water
    put in baking dish, stir it all up and then "float" sliced american cheese covering the top. put some foil on it and bake for 1 hr @ 400 degrees.

I love this stuff

8. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I am going to have to check out the master book my wife has, she has hundreds of reciepes handed down to her. I will post a couple either tonight or tomorrow.

9. Msbabedoll

Msbabedoll Registered Member

WOW all that sounds good!! I may have to try that cheesey chicken stuff!

I make this sometimes too which is quick and easy
    its
    Hamburger
    Egg Noodles
    Rotel
    and Velveta

Cook your meant, drain (add bell peppers and onion to it too) cook your noodles while your meat is cooking, throw it all in a casserole dish and cook at 375 till the cheese melts good! Its great with green beans and rolls!!

10. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

When I need to cook something, I always go to foodnetwork.com.