• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

California police shoot bystander’s dog in disturbing video (GRAPHIC)

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This makes me so fucking sick. A guy is filming cops on a public street, and when the cops approach him, he puts his dog in the car. Dog sees his owner getting handcuffed, jumps out the window and a cop unloads on the dog.

WARNING: The video is graphic, and not safe for work.(I regret watching it, and I don't know why I did in the first place).

California police shoot bystander’s dog in disturbing video | PIX 11

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't understand why they arrested the guy to begin with. They are on a public street and have no expectations of privacy. By the cop gesturing to the dog I wonder if he was trying to provoke the dog.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
On the other hand - If you yourself were confronting someone in a neighbourhood where people frequently train their dogs to kill people, and a strange rottweiler bit your friend or family member or even co-worker, after diving out of a car window at you, would you really hesitate on the matter to see if maybe the dog is only trying to be snuggly?

Konshentz

Konshentz
This is the video I mentioned over in RTT. A TERRIBLE decision on my part to watch it. Yikes.

Last edited:

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I heard about this. I didn't watch the video and I don't want to either because I'm sure it will only upset me and make me cry. However, I did look up this cop. He's a notoriously trigger happy fucktard. If I'm not mistaken, he shot and killed a man with Down Syndrome a couple of years ago. His defense was that the man was holding a screw driver and he felt threatened. Funny, how these cops have tasers and pepper spray, y'know, non lethal methods, but the first thing they reach for when trying to "neutralize" a threat is their gun. It's sickening how he let that poor dog just bleed out on the street like that.

However, sometimes, the internet is a wonderful thing. Anonymous got a hold of his personal information and leaked it on Facebook. I don't care what any self-righteous tool thinks, I think it's awesome that he's being harassed and verbally abused by people from all over the continent. I have no sympathy for him.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Pretz makes a good point, I can understand that viewpoint, but I do think the police overreacted not only in shooting the dog but arresting the guy in the first place.

I'm a big law enforcement guy, I'm usually on the side of the law that enables law enforcement to do their jobs and I favor heavy sentences for criminals. That said, I will admit I don't like cops themselves, I have a bias against them. Most of that is due to interacting with them when I was a prosecutor, as a private citizen, and in the work I do now. The majority of the time they are sloppy in their investigations, have little knowledge or are ignorant of the law, and they try and use their badges to bully people. As Hilander said they are in the public and have no expectation of privacy and unless someone taping them is interfering with police work or an investigation they can't just go around arresting people. I can't help but think they knew this arrest was bullshit from the get go but they would take him to the station and later release him knowing he probably won't do anything about it anyway.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I used to think that cops were just nice guys being misjudged. Mainly because in all my dealings with cops, I've lucked out and gotten the nice ones where as long as you were polite and honest and straighforward, they were as well.

Just like a month and a half ago though I was riding with my buddy and he got pulled over. Holy crap that cop must have been having a bad day or something. I mean, my buddy knew he shouldn't have been driving that car without proper registration, and he was ready to get his fine, ticket and tow. The cop still treated us like thugs though. I'm surprised they didn't try to search the car or anything. The cop was rude and condescending.

It was probably that type of cop that shot the dog. Its the same type of cop that sees someone video taping and just assumes that because they're cops, they should be above the law and not be videotaped.

I like cops, and I think they do a great job, but its instances like this, and my own recent experience that kind of gives more credit to some of those police state doom sayers out there.

dDave

V.I.P.
This makes me so fucking sick. A guy is filming cops on a public street, and when the cops approach him, he puts his dog in the car. Dog sees his owner getting handcuffed, jumps out the window and a cop unloads on the dog.

WARNING: The video is graphic, and not safe for work.(I regret watching it, and I don't know why I did in the first place).

California police shoot bystander’s dog in disturbing video | PIX 11
Even with legal technicalities filming the police, even in a public area, is discouraged. People will tell you that it's 100% legal to film them. While this is true they have the right to stop you in many different circumstances. They have to enforce that law in order to protect themselves.

It's still very disturbing that they actually shot the dog like that. They could have easily subdued the animal in a much less violent fashion and nobody would have been hurt.

Some people... I will never understand.

Wade8813

Registered Member
However, sometimes, the internet is a wonderful thing. Anonymous got a hold of his personal information and leaked it on Facebook. I don't care what any self-righteous tool thinks, I think it's awesome that he's being harassed and verbally abused by people from all over the continent. I have no sympathy for him.
I strongly disagree with this. I'm inclined to agree that this was a bad thing the cop did, based on what little information I have (I'm not particularly planning on looking into this more).

I don't think there's any situation where I would be okay with hackers posting someone's private information like that. I don't see it ever accomplishing anything, and it can often lead to disastrous results.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I watched the edited version (not the disturbing one) and in NO WAY can the cop be justified!!!!!
This is TOTALLY UNFAIR, UNPROFESSIONAL, INAPPROPRIATE!!!! CALL IT WHATEVER YOU WANT!
THAT MAN NEEDS TO GO TO JAIL!
I read somewhere else where he said that he thought the dog would bit him. BULLSHIT!!! The video is there any the court will see that the risk wasn't THAT big to make it justifiable to use the gun. He had NO REASON to protect himself from the dog, LET ALONE to strike and shoot the gun several times!!!

He can't even justify his actions as part of a "necessary protection".
Here in Albania we have a law where one can protect themselves in extreme cases (and this includes using the gun to fire towards something or someone when there's no other way they can act in situations that put their life at risk. It's the only way where they can't be accused of committing a murder /crime BUT this murder needs/must be proportionate to the risk.
On the other hand, the risk should be real, intense, not imaginary, repetitive and unfair. The risk has five characteristics which make the person act and protect themselves.)

In this case, I don't see how he can justify what he did. The risk is nowhere near that reality and intensity!!!!!!

Not only did he shoot the gun when it wasn't necessary but he also worsened the situation by shooting towards the dog several times. He went BEYOND what could have been considered a necessary situation for protection.

I'm very very disturbed by all this story!!!!

Last edited: