• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

California orders 25% reduction in water usage

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Raw Story said:
California Governor Jerry Brown, acting in the face of a devastating, multiyear drought, ordered the first statewide mandatory water restrictions on Wednesday, directing cities and communities to reduce usage by 25 percent.
California governor orders 25 percent reduction in water usage statewide

I don't know why this wasn't done months ago. California is having serious water issues and it doesn't look like its going to get any better. NASA said they only have about 1 year of water left. They are even draining their aquifers which is causing the ground to sink. One of these days the ground could just collapse under them.

We get a lot of vegies from California so I bet we see a price hike or/and a limited amount of it coming from them. I really don't see how they can keep farming.

Thought?

zerohedge said:
Statewide, we've been dropping more than 12 million acre-feet of total water yearly since 2011. Roughly two-thirds of these losses are attributable to groundwater pumping for agricultural irrigation in the Central Valley. Farmers have little choice but to pump more groundwater during droughts, especially when their surface water allocations have been slashed 80% to 100%. But these pumping rates are excessive and unsustainable. Wells are running dry. In some areas of the Central Valley, the land is sinking by one foot or more per year.
NASA Scientist Warns "California Has One Year Of Water Left"

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This could end up being a pretty serious problem in the near future. I don't know too much about the situation, but I do know that southern California gets most (or all?) of its water from the Sierra Nevada further north. If the Sierra isn't getting snow in the winter, then there will be water shortages. And they have been getting record low annual snowfalls for the past few years.

Less water will also mean drier soil and vegetation, which will lead to more frequent wildfires.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its bad there, I don't know what they are going to do. Even in other parts of the SW they are having a drought, just not to the extreme California is.

Here is a photo from NASA. California is literally drying up.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
They have such a high population density and all those people taking a shower all the time and keeping their lawns pretty and what not, its no wonder. Simple solution. Drink the water, and that's it. Bathe for cleanliness, not twice a day just to keep up appearances. Fuck your lawn, etc etc. They should cut down drastically on their water supply. Bare living necessities, until things catch up again. Of course that won't happen though because all dem celebrities you know.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
They should construct huge pipelines and basins to ease the stress on the aquifers. But they won't. And the attempt to reduce water usage will fail. This won't be taken seriously until a major incident (or ten) forces people to take it seriously. That's always the way.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm afraid anything they do at this point may not be enough, just too many people. They need to cut out all non essential water use such as fracking but I guess Brown doesn't want to do that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/10/california-anti-fracking-signatures_n_6653886.html

Huffingtonpost said:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California has proposed closing by October up to 140 oil-field wells that state regulators had allowed to inject into federally protected drinking water aquifers, state officials said.

Bohlen said 140 of those 2,500 injection wells were of primary concern to the state now because they were actively injecting oil-field fluids into aquifers with especially good water quality.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/09/california-water-protection_n_6646996.html

Can't believe the contamination of aquifers was ever allowed. When you read stuff like this its hard to feel sorry for them. Clean water is the most precious resource we have.

dDave

V.I.P.
California has a higher population than most countries on the planet, just using less water isn't going to be as easy as it sounds. If you've ever been to the Western US, most of it is a desert with very little water. Most of the Western US is always in drought, it doesn't end like it does in other places. I fear they may have already done irreparable damage with the amount of water they've used recently. This won't gain much attention until it becomes a full blown crisis. Until people's lives actually change significantly they just aren't going to care.

If only I was still in contact with my old geology professor. He was very well versed in water laws, geological issues faced because of water shortage, and all that good stuff. It was actually quite interesting to learn about.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
That would defeat the whole purpose of fracking. What, you thought it was to provide energy? It requires more energy than you get out of it.
Why the Saudis convinced OPEC to speed up oil production. Even President Putin agreed and sped up Russian oil production. They are trying to kill the new fracking boom in the US.
But hey it will save a lot of fresh water if they do.

Anyway a Nestles CEO in France claimed that fresh water isnt a human right. So maybe if theres serious water shortages then corporations can make huge profits selling it.

@ the OP:
If Californias so brain-dead that they allow fracking there then thats just totally their bad. The politicians there already knew there were serious fresh water issues in California and all the fracking just makes it worse. So maybe they should build a desalination plant and use ocean water. They do that in parts of the Middle East.