California legalising "dope"

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Honato, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Honato

Honato Registered Member

Ok so here in britain there is a political magazine called "The Week" and there is an article in here about Califnornia thinking of legalising marijuana.

At first you may be thinking thats stupid and just plain wrong here are a few figures.

The state has a $15bn budget deficit and it is expected to increase to $42bn next year. The marijuana crops in California are worth nearly twice the value of grape vegetable crops there. They spend $1.7bn in stopping this drug hit the streets and what not but if they legalised the drug and taxed it they could take $1bn in revenue, this may not seem like much and they still have a lot more money to make up but is this worth considering?

(Btw im not supporting drug use in any way just curious about what you guys think)

2. ScottOnly

ScottOnly Registered Member

I think that marijuana should be legalized. The American people should have the right to put whatever they want into their bodies. If alcohol is legal then we may as well support the gange.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm assuming you're referring to this:

This is why my state pisses me off. We're on the brink of Bankruptcy, our state Economy is a joke, Our whole State Government for that sake is pretty much just sold to the highest bidder... and what are we as Californians focusing on?

Forget the budget crisis, forget how we're so chock full of bureaucracy that nothing else will ever get done, lets focus on legalizing Marijuana!

In all honesty.... I hope it does pass and I hope they tax the ever loving snot out of it. Legalized weed wont fill the holes in the budget, but hey whatever helps to fill that bucket right. Much like Tobacco, I wont be participating in the Use of Marijuana, so all in all I dont feel this effects me.

4. farkarooni

farkarooni New Member

Legalising dope will make people forget there is a recession. Maybe it would be a good thing!

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I think marijuana should be legalised too but it's not because I think people should have the right to do whatever they want with their body. I just don't think marijuana is harmful as the other products out there that are legal. Moderation is the key.

Maybe it's that reason. The state is running out of money and you have to consider what you can change that will bring revenues instead of pursuing something that takes away the resources (you spend a lot for prosecuting this).

Or maybe it's this reason after all. :lol:

6. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

Legalising any drug as long as the consumer uses it responsibly could be done. With the economy in it's present state, it could benefit from the profit and job creation.

7. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I think it's a great idea. Only prob is that once they legalize pot you can grow your own and not buy their high taxed stuff. I wish all the states would just legalize pot and be done with it. They would all save a ton of money that they spend on putting pot smokers in jail and the revenue would do them all some good.

8. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Well, if they make pot legal I can't really see how they would stop you from growing your own stuff. They could regulate the sale of it, however.

The point you raise about people going to jail for marijuana is incredibly valid, though, considering California's retarded three strikes bullshit. Think of how many people must be in for life just for drug trafficking and possession.

9. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

Some governors don't want to use the stimulus package and they won't end the War on Drugs altogether anytime soon either. So by at least legalizing marijuana it would be a start and bring some money in that'll help curb the recession. Think of all the money wasted fighting the damn WOD in the first, now you wanna get something out of it.

Don't forget smoking weed makes you cool, like Michael Phelps;)

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I agree that it should be legalized since it's a relatively harmless drug and it would help boost the economy. Can states legalize it though? Isn't it still illegal under federal law?