• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

California Gurls vs Empire State of Mind

California vs Empire

• Total voters

Juan_Pablo

Registered Member
Two songs during the past year from two divas ft. rappers. Empire state of Mind by Alicia Keys and Jay-Z. Then you have California Gurls by Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg. I'm listening to California Gurls so much more these days than I ever listend to Empire.

*If someone can edit the poll Emire = Empire

Last edited:

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I would go with California Gurls, mainly because its just mindless fun and Katy Perry is awesome. Plus, I love Snoop, so yeah.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Empire State of Mind is the better song, with better vocals from the female and more detailed lyrics from the rapper. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of both Snoop and Jay...just going by the song here.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
California Gurls is more fun to listen to. Snoop also has one smooth voice. Seriously. He can just talk and babies will sleep.

Sometimes I feel like Jay-Z crams in too many words into a line. I don't know how to explain it. I feel like his raps lose their flow at parts. haha

In the end though the two songs are different in their tones. I think Empire is a bit more serious for some reason while Cali. Gurls is just like "hey, we're hot and we'll melt your Popsicle" :lol:

Shwa

V.I.P.
I would have to vote for "Empire State of Mind" over Katy this time, if it were a different song of her's then maybe it would have had a good standing, but this time I gotta give it to Jay-Z and Alicia Keys. Great duo and outstanding song with great vocals!

~Shwa

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
Hmm. Well firstly I hate the ever loving hell out of Empire State of Mind because that song has been over played to hell. Seriously, if you can find an ad for something even remotely New York related that doesn't use that song, I will go buy a hat and eat it.

As for California Girls (I refuse to use the retarded spelling), it just came across as terribly cheesy to me. Like, absurdly cheesy. I had three thoughts while watching the video: 1.) Well this is pretty damn corny... 2.) I remember when Snoop had street cred... and 3.) Holy boobage Batman!

So in my mind, I'm going to say that both are pretty mediocre songs at best, with ESoM probably being the better song, but California Girls wins out because I haven't had to hear it so much that I've developed a Pavlovian Response of diving for a mute button when it comes on.

EDIT: Seriously, this guy used to be straight gangsta

Last edited:

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
Alicia keys' voice annoys the fuckle out of me. "NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORK" shut the hell up. However I pick that over california girls because of the Jay Z factor. I'm afraid doggy has nothing on the Z-ster. Despite Katy Perry being awesome CG is not her best song....