• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

California desert, April 2011

Tucker

Lion Rampant
A few Easter weekend pics.

Not pictured: I stumbled across a stony meteorite out there, which was a lucky find worthy of mention, but visually it just looks like a charcoal briquet.

Dabs

Registered Member
Very nice photographs! The first is my favorite, I love the color of that blue sky :)

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Very nice, I should travel out to the desert more often- it's very striking. I prefer the sequoias, but the deserts have some nicest sunsets and are one of the few places you can see the stars in the state.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Really nice. Love the yellow flower and bug. Also the wagon.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Cool pics, man. Do you know what mountain range that is in the background? Is it the San Jacintos?
You're close. That's the Wrightwood area, in the neighboring San Gabriel range. Speaking of the San Jacintos, if you're ever in Cali and you want a good one-day hike, I know where to find a hidden, unpopulated lake at 8000' just a couple of wilderness miles from the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. An unspoiled lake in California, that would be something to see.

Very nice photographs! The first is my favorite, I love the color of that blue sky :)
Yeh, it was super clear out there. The desert dryness and the near-constant 40 MPH wind probably helped to keep the skies clean.

Very nice, I should travel out to the desert more often- it's very striking. I prefer the sequoias, but the deserts have some nicest sunsets and are one of the few places you can see the stars in the state.
The redwoods are definitely calling, now that I have a decent camera. I've always wanted to take a picture of a banana slug. (Why, I don't know.)

There was one shot of a colorful sunset amongst my recent desert pics. I weeded it out before posting, because I didn't feel that the image did the brilliantly glowing sight a whole lot of justice. The majesty of some epic vistas (like the Grand Canyon, for one classic example) don't seem to translate well to photographs.

Really nice. Love the yellow flower and bug. Also the wagon.
That bug was so tiny (smaller than a sunflower kernel) that I didn't see the kerrazy Mooninite FACE on its back until the pic was blown up. The wagon is a fixture outside the Cocky Bull Steak House and Saloon, home to monthly meetings of the High Desert Tea Party.

Thanks for the comments, y'all!

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
You're close. That's the Wrightwood area, in the neighboring San Gabriel range. Speaking of the San Jacintos, if you're ever in Cali and you want a good one-day hike, I know where to find a hidden, unpopulated lake at 8000' just a couple of wilderness miles from the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway. An unspoiled lake in California, that would be something to see.
The San Gabriels would have been my next guess. All the snow threw me off. My family was actually thinking about going to Palm Springs last month for spring break, but we're probably doing a summer trip somewhere else instead. I like hidden lakes though. I'll let you know if I'm ever in that area.

Also, what kind of camera do you use?