• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Cal Ripken, Jr. & Tony Gwynn in Hall of Fame

JimColyer

Registered Member
Cal Ripken, Jr. & Tony Gwynn were elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Ripken got 98.53% of the 545 ballots; Gwynn got 97.6%. Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's streak by playing in 2,632 consecutive games. Gwynn won 8 batting titles. Both got over 3,000 hits. The disappointment was Mark McGwire. McGwire hit 70 home runs in 1998 and finished with 583 but only got 23.5% of the votes because of suspected steroid use and his reluctance to talk before Congress. The Baseball Writers of America do the voting. 75% of their votes are required for election. McGwire did get enough to remain on the ballot. A candidate may stay on the ballot up to 15 years. Ripken & Gwynn will be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York, on July 29.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Go Cal.

He might actually buy the Orioles, I'd love to see that.l

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Go Cal.

He might actually buy the Orioles, I'd love to see that.