Cake in a jar? ..looking for the recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by amjhdrummer, Jul 23, 2008.

1. amjhdrummer

amjhdrummer It fell off.

I send stuff via carepackages and letters to some soldiers I've adopted overseas- and something I've seen in a lot of lists for ideas to send is "cake in a jar"...supposedly you cook it in a jar somehow? ...I figured you'd boil the jar in water and it'd cook that way- kinda like canning..because somehow the jars lid is supposed to be sealed shut...

Does anyone know of an easy recipe for that? All the ones I see seem to be hard..I know I'm not bad @ cooking...but still...

that'd be great- thanks :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

3. amjhdrummer

amjhdrummer It fell off.

Can't use a pan- it's going to Iraq- needs to stay fresh...hence the explanation about "carepackages to my adopted soldiers" part of my post.

It'll take like-anywhere from a week to 2 months to get there. Just depends which soldier I send it to/time of the year(season- christmas takes shorter time because they try to get more packages going)

One of my Soldiers has a b-day coming up here in bout a month- and I wanted to do a bday type theme- put some streamers/plates/napkins/stupid hats/noisemakers all in a box w/ some cake so his unit can have their own lil bday party...Figured they probably won't use half of it (like the noisemakers/streamers) but it'd be funny..

Anywhos yea.

i'll have to try that- thanks :)I tried to google it- but none seemed simple enough...*sigh*

4. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Even if it's in a jar I don't see how it could possibly stay fresh for 2 months. Not to mention sending glass over seas. I'm sure the package will be tossed around quite a bit.

5. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Angels recipe looks about right and if you get a canning jar big enough you could even double or triple the size of the recipe and I'll bet it will still work right over the fire when they heat it up. Canning jars were meant for high heat but they will still have to crack that sucker before tossing it over the flame because it'll blow up from the steam inside trying to escape. I would also imagine that if you just put some bubble wrap around it you should be golden because that is really thick tempered glass.

6. amjhdrummer

amjhdrummer It fell off.

My packages have been going to the one I'm sending it to @ about 3 weeks. I just mentioned up to 2 months because it very well could take that long. But I'm assuming a jar is better than just packaged/sealed from a pan....

heat it up?! It's 110 degrees out there daily/opn average- I don't think they need to heat it up! Just sit it out in the sun for an hour- lol!

Anddd I've sent glass- and even tried popcans(full) overseas- they were a little flat- but they didn't break open or anything and it's a treat they don't get- Sooo I'm not to worried about the packaging- I send a box out each month to the 7 of them- I think I've learned plenty of tricks about packaging.

Thanks ladies :)