• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

BYU's leading rebounder Brandon Davies kicked off team for violating Honor Code

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought this deserved it's own thread.

BYU F Brandon Davies dismissed from team for honor code violation - ESPN

Here it is:

• Be honest
• Live a chaste and virtuous life
• Obey the law and all campus policies
• Use clean language
• Respect others
• Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee and substance abuse
• Participate regularly in church services
• Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
• Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code
Yes, most make sense. But not growing a beard or drinking an Arnold Palmer?

This is a huge blow to BYU's chances for a deep run. A lot of people thought that it was only Jimmer carrying this team, but Davies was becoming a pretty good inside presence and could run the floor pretty well.

Thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
That sucks for him and BYU. Obviously BYU is a Mormon university and they'll have much stricter rules than other teams and he should have been aware of them. We'll see what kind of effect it has on the team.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is huge for BYU, and in all honesty I don't believe they'll go far anymore. I know they're other players on this team, and you never know how far Jimmer can carry this team. That said, there's so much Jimmer can do, and losing Davies will hurt them in so many different ways.

I think this was a bit to harsh, I know they're a mormon school, but come on!!

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't think it's going to matter as much as people are thinking it will. This BYU team is is just like the Davidson team with Stephen Curry. They can stll make it the the Elite 8 and maybe the Final 4. I expect them to finish the season undefeated and win their conference tournament.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I don't think it's going to matter as much as people are thinking it will. This BYU team is is just like the Davidson team with Stephen Curry. They can stll make it the the Elite 8 and maybe the Final 4. I expect them to finish the season undefeated and win their conference tournament.
Undefeated in conference, right?

They will get really far, even with the loss of Davies. Like Bob said, they will with the conference and then make at least the Sweet 16.

With this season's uncertainty, nothing is certain.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
BYU lost to New Mexico earlier in the year. That's their only conference loss.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
BYU lost to New Mexico earlier in the year. That's their only conference loss.
Yeah, I knew that, but Bob alluded to being undefeated... I probably read it wrong... haha.

BYU actually faces UNM again tonight. Can UNM upset them again? I doubt it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Way to strict, I know rules are rules, but why not just suspend him for the rest of the regular season and let him play during March Madness. I'm still kind of torn on this though, he definitely agreed to this code because the season started, but come on...this is way to harse in my book.

Yesterday proved that they're going to miss Davies, unlike what Bob thinks.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
All BYU students are expected to live by that honor code, not just the athletes. They know that before they enroll. If you want to have sex or drink or whatever, then don't go to BYU. I like that Davies isn't treated differently just because he's an athlete. It shows that there's more to sports than just winning, and I respect BYU for this decision.