• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Buying the first game, than the sequel

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Are you the type whenever you hunt down for a game, you tend to look for the first game within that series, if it's a game series to begin with?

I myself am like that all the time, when I found Prince of Persia: Warrior Within for instance, I made it a mission to hunt down The Sands of Time, because I felt it'd be a better gaming experience as a whole, to play through the first, than second in a chronological order.

What about you guys? You ever do that?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Definitely. I refused to play Halo 3 campaign until I hunted down the first 2 to play.

i feel like I have to play it in order.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Depends on how story-driven the series is. Usually I like to play them in order, but sometimes it doesn't matter much.

Shooting_Palanx

@Anita, yeah I am exactly the same haha, you feel out of place, when you're playing the last game, without really knowing the story LOL!

@ Echoes, yeah bro, if the story is worthy than of course....Left4dead is an example. You don't really need to play the first game in all honesty, since the story is pretty much the same lol.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'll try and play the games in order but honestly I don't tend to get into a lot of series.

I agree that a lot of the time the story won't matter at all.

Take Metroid Prime for example, I've never actually played 2 or 3 but I've been told that the stories really are hardly connected.

Stuff like the Zelda series, it's just not going to matter which game you decide to play first, heh, most of the games have the exact same plot occurring over and over again. :lol:

If I ever got into Halo then I would definitely start at the beginning. I also played the Half Life games in order.

Th3Pr3Tz3l

Registered Member
It depends really. Say I picked up the Final Fantasy games, all but one of the games are totally independent from one another. There's really only a few *teehee* tidbits for the fans who have played the past games.

When it came to God Of War, I got the second one and refused to start until I bought and completed the first.

Sometimes it just makes sense. Why be confused when you don't have to be?

It has also stopped me from picking up new games that look good, as it will likely stop me form picking up F.E.A.R 3 when it comes out.

Shooting_Palanx

Yeah, totally agree man. Same goes for Bioshock in a way, the story isn't "Directly" tied to the 2nd game, but you still got to play the first game at least, to get a "feel" for it.

That's also a good reason I guess besides a good story, to get the first game, just for the "feel" of it.

Sim

Registered Member
Now as I think of it, there are several game series I played in the correct order. But that was because the sequel was not released yet when I played the original.

For example, I played Civilization 1 to 4 in the release order. When Civ3 was new, though, I would often return to Civ2, because I missed the szenario option and generally think Civ3 is the weakest game in that series. Since Civ4 is there, though, I keep playing that.

I played Unreal first, then Unreal 2. The same with Max Payne. And FEAR. But whenever I played the first of these games, the second was not released yet.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
yes, even if I've been told "you dont need to play them in order" I will... just so that I can honor what the developers have come from and done.

A great example of this actually is the Force Unleashed... I havent played the first one. Saw the trailer for the second one today and I jizzed in my pants. I'll be picking up the first here soon... playing through that and then further anticipating the second.

Other games I've done this for include but is not limited to; hitman, God of War, Splinter Cell, and Red Faction

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Take Metroid Prime for example, I've never actually played 2 or 3 but I've been told that the stories really are hardly connected.
The Prime games are all connected, but they aren't connected much at all to the earlier Metroid games.