Buying game consoles

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Doc, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I need advice on buying game consoles from Ebay. I've never bought, so I don't have feedback, and I'm not too similar with PayPal.

I do know how to buy things, and shop for good deals, but how do I know I won't get scammed into buying a crappy 360?

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I recommend going with a refurb model. You'll find them on ebay as well as at stores like GameStop. Buying one used is never a guaranteed deal. It could work, it might not. The worst the seller has to lose is a slice of positive feedback. You can always file PayPal disputes and claims but in the end you'll just get your money back and be at square 1.

With a refurb you get the manufacturer's warranty again, which means even if the refurb is a dud (rare, and in my experience so far, never) you can get it taken care of. I actually bought my refurb XBOX through GameStop on eBay. (They have an account and list things periodically)

Of course the only sure way to get a perfect condition console is to buy one new from a store that you can return it to if you have problems. You'll pay for that luxury though.

I prefer refurbished to used because at least refurbished means everything was checked out and is guaranteed to work. Used just means you are playing Russian Roulette.

3. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

Yeah, Andrew has the best idea. That way your don't get really screwed and have to be at square 1 again.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I have a few things that I have to focus on first, but I'm definately going for price.