Buying a new laptop...

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
So, I'm looking at laptops at the moment. I'm only halfway computer literate. I understand most things, but get confused with all the hardware specs...and knowing what is good and what is not.

I would generally want to use it for web browsing, bill paying, updating my Zune, and a touch of gaming. I mostly game console...so the only game that would test the graphics card that I play is The Sims 3. All of the other games are pretty simplistic and would play on most PC's.

So that being said...what would you recommend? I don't really want to spend more than I have to. Acer has been recommended to me more than once, so I have been looking at this one:

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5551G-4280 NoteBook AMD Turion II Dual-Core P520(2.3GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Acer has been recommended to you? Was this person an enemy? Lol. Anyone I know who's gotten an acer laptop, has usually had dumb issues with them. I'd recommend Compaq. Me and my brother had compaq laptops, and they lasted about 4 years. I treat my computers pretty rough too, so 4 years was pretty generous. Compaqs are pretty affordable as well.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Errr...any details on what was so crap about Acer? How many friends and what the issues were? I'm mostly finding good reviews on them.

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
Acer still has a reputation from the past of not being a good company, but I think they have redeemed themselves a bit over the past few years. They still wouldn't be my top choice just out of wanting them to be reliable longer since everything has a tendancy to go wrong for me, and Id be the one person whose laptop would die the day warranty expired. There were a lot of complaints about them being poorly built in terms of the hinges for opening and closing breaking, the battery plug wearing very quickly, but also being known for motherboard problems.. Granted, I haven't personally known anyone who has bought one since 2007/2008.. but it seems like maybe they have improved themselves a bit.

I don't like compaq either though. The laptop I had from compaq had no battery life whatsoever. It had to be plugged in to work. Then the charger warped and it is no longer usable. I just dont find it acceptableb to have to always have something portable plugged in.

My current laptop is an asus. They arent well known, but they have been making parts for yearssss. As long as I have been building computers, I have been using their parts, and they make the parts for HP laptops. They have never done me wrong. So, when I saw they were making laptops now, I had to go with them. Which I also recommend HP too, but Asus is going to be the same with a nicer price tag.

Anywho, the specs do look pretty good on that laptop considering what you would be using it for.

Last edited:

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I've just never liked the Acer brand name. My highschool had acer, and it was plain shitty. Always breaking down. Most of my friends at university who had acers were constantly having problems. Things like the battery messing up, hardrive overheating and frying. Disc drives stopping working. Maybe about 4 or 5 friends.

my two brothers and one of my other friends have compaq, and I myself had a compaq. I was really pleased with mine. My friend who bought the same model of laptop, still has hers. So that's 5 years old now.

I'm with OOh_Snap here.

Acer's have a pretty horrible reputation, and most of it has been justified through the past. Granted they've made a concerted effort the past year or two to create a better quality, but over all they still arn't as good.

Asus is a spectacular brand and would recommend it over anything else. The quality and specs you get are amazing for the price, and they last.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Ok, so say that I am now considering an Asus...what laptop would you specifically recommend?

I'm not sure what kind of specs I would need to run what I want to use it for.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Okay, I've had an Acer for over a year now, and I've had absolutely no problems with it. Just wanted to add that, they really aren't as bad as everyone makes out. Other than that, I can't really help you out. I took my geek friend laptop shopping with me and he picked one out that suited me.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Everyone has their own individual experiences. I don't know anyone who has had a good one with Acer yet but I hear it's a mixed bag. I've always gone Dell and I haven't had any real problems and the warranties are iron clad. But again, that's me. They're also quite affordable and very customizable. Also a very important question:

How mobile are you going to be?

This will mean different needs in terms of battery life and weight as well. I'd imagine you're going to be somewhat mobile or else (duh) you wouldn't be getting a laptop. But if for some reason you aren't, going desktop is a much smarter idea. But back on topic.

I find Cnet to be a good source of information:

Laptops & notebooks: Laptop computers, notebook computers - CNET Reviews

I've had good luck recently with HP so my suggestion if you can afford 799 would be this one:

HP Pavilion dm4-1065dx Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews

But a good basic system is a Dell Inspiron which start at 450:

Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop reviews - CNET Reviews[object%20NodeList];resultsShell

That one also had incredible battery life. Also, Newegg offers some packages, but not as often as Best Buy. The only problem is they try and throw all this extra shit at you but all you need to know is that when they start offering you stuff, just shake your head.

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
Check out Dell computers. You can choose your specifications and have it delivered. The specs you posted are more than what you will need, but since you're buying a new computer, those are good specifications.