Buying a book/novel because everyone is reading it.

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by StroShow, Feb 19, 2010.

1. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

This is obviously a question for readers...mostly harcore readers. Would you buy a book because everyone is in love with it and it's the "IT" book at that period of time. Or you couldn't careless and wouldn't give it a glimpse.

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Couldn't care less. There are a lot of popular books that just don't interest me. If it's recommended by a friend who's opinion I trust, I'll probably read it then.

3. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Not for newer books. If someone recommends me something to read then sure, but otherwise, no.

I do read older books based on hype, though. I figure if it's stood the test of time then I should give it a go. I'm mainly talking about classics here. About 90% of the fiction books I read are older classics.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Sim likes this.
  4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

No. I never go after a book if I see everyone's buying it.
    I'll buy it if I think I might find something interesting whether everyone buys it or not.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

No. Actually, I very rarely buy books - I take full advantage of the library. But no, I won't read a book just because it's the "it" book. I haven't read any Twilight books, not sure if I will.

6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I read the first while in North Dakota because my girls insisted that I simply must and my co-worker let me borrow her copy. It was nothing special and I can't get past the first 20 pages of the 2nd.
    I no longer trust the opinions of my girls when it comes to reading.

7. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

Absolutely NOT. Just because everyone is reading Eragon doesn't mean I am going to go out and grab it. Just because every Michael Crichton novel gets turned into a movie or series doesn't mean I should keep up on his books, either.

Plus, an avid reader knows about the majority of these books before they become popular and hence, has read. I appreciate what cinema can do to make good books known, but there are things like Twilight that should NOT be as popular as they are.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

seriously. two words: Dan. Brown.

On the other hand I have considered reading Eragon.

9. Unity

Unity #AllTogetherNowSTL Staff Member

Most of the time I don't, and too often I stick to D&D novels such as the Dragonlance series, lol.

I do enjoy Dan Brown's stuff, though. I have a brother who's a Priest and a History professor so I know that a lot of his historical stuff and ideas of the Catholic Church are waaaaaay off, but I take it for what it is, fiction, and enjoy it. I guess I just enjoy the whole "clues and codes and history" kind of story, but don't know of other good novels/series.

10. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

Win. I'm more of a Forgotten Realms fan, though. I love Faerûn too much. I own my share in DL though. Greyhawk, Ravenloft, and many others.