• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

buy some 100% silver and/or gold coins

Casioking

Registered Member
buy some 100% silver and/or gold coins...
But don't put them in a safety deposit box..
Put them inside some kind of hiding spot inside an object..
Like inside a old book in the attic or hide them in a bag of pees in the bottom of a deep freezer.. someplace where you can get to them easy if the sheet hits the fan...

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I guess that's not altogether a bad idea. If some sort of society altering event happens, getting my money out of the bank probably wouldn't be possible. However, will a form of currency be useful in that type of scenario? I'm pretty sure food and survival supplies will be the form of currency in that situation. Gold or silver would be pretty useless.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm thinking if we do have a break down of society the only thing that will be worth anything is food, guns or ammo. Still doesn't hurt to have silver or gold, not on paper but in your hands.

Casioking

Registered Member
well it could not hurt to have this as one of many back ups... But getting loads of caned food is a good ider too

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
No it couldn't hurt because people have always been attracted to gold and silver as a form of money. Even if things get bad at some point people will be using this as money. I would just have plenty of food in the meantime.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Pretty much agree with the rest. Food, guns, ammo, gasoline, medicine, rope, tools, wood, etc, much more important in that kind of situation than gold or silver.

Not a bad idea, but I don't think gold or silver contributes anything at that point...God forbid.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
If anything, silver could be useful for bullet making, if that were to ever be needed. Although don't they use copper or brass for casings? Maybe that's what all the pennies will get used for lol.