Movies Buy Fullscreen by Accident?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Mirage, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

One of the most annoying things that happens to me when I buy movies is EVERY once in a while when I accidentally buy a FULLSCREEN DVD instead of widescreen.

I hate the feeling of missing part of the movie. I have only done this a few times but it's so annoying.

I've rented fullscreen several times by accident and that's somewhat annoying but not nearly as annoying as owning the fullscreen version by accident.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Good thing Vega isn't here. He'd go on another huge rant about widescreen vs fullscreen.

I've never made the mistake of buying fullscreen, but it's annoying when other people get me fullscreen DVDs for Christmas or birthday or something. I always take it back to exchange it.

3. kajinpl

kajinpl Registered Member

I got the Full Screen of Matrix Revolutions when I bought it on eBay. I just wanted to get he movie so bad I didn't stop to look at the fine print. lol

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

full screen movies are just annoying, it literally cuts off a part of the picture, I'm the only one in my family that seems to realize that it isn't as important to fill the screen as it is to get more of the picture.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Everybody who was so pro-fullscreen will be eating their words soon enough. Now that EVERY TV in stores is widescreen as soon as anybody who was pro-fullscreen buys a new TV they will be stuck with all of their fullscreen DVD's with black bars on the left and right.

I honestly never saw the reason for selling movies in fullscreen on DVD. VHS I can understand but DVD's should have been widescreen only if you ask me.

Kind of like how Blu-Ray is widescreen only. Finally the fullscreen vs widescreen debate can come to an end. Now we'll essentially have the same debate but with DVD vs. Blu-Ray and why people without HDTV's think buying DVD's is the better option. Sure, but that's the same as buying a fullscreen DVD and then later upgrading to a widescreen TV. Sooner or later everybody will upgrade to a HDTV and they will be disappointed with the quality of their DVD's when they could have been buying Blu-Ray all along.

6. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I had the same problem as OP except it was the other way around. I always bought widescreen by accident when I wanted fullscreen. I didn't have a widescreen TV at the time so I wanted fullscreen.

7. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Since I got myself a HDTV I'm not going to buy any more movies until I get a PS3 or Blu-Ray player.

The worst part for me is going to be having to replace 150+ dvds, some are collections and some are hard to find, with Blu-Ray.

8. kiwi

kiwi The Original Kiwi

Why do you have to replace them? Why not just buy the new ones in Blu Ray and maybe some of the cinematic masterpieces, but just watch the DVD's on your PS3?

9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Yeah really. HD movies are nice and everything, but I don't think it's worth spending $4000+ to upgrade an entire movie collection, which will just end up being obsolete several years later.

10. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

Yes I've bought plenty of fullscreen movies on accident. But I usually fix it that day lol. I hate fullscreen.