Buy a Republican!

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

YouTube - Republican Minority Leader John Boehner explains why he handed out bribes on the House floor

This sort of thing needs to be illegal and punishable by jail time. Also, I really think all politicians should be held to a NASCAR standard where they're forced to wear patches from all of their sponsors. Lastly, this is further proof why I refuse to vote Republican or Democrat. Republicans by and large want big business to run your life and face little opposition while Democrats tend to favor big government and face equally minimal opposition.

But direct evidence like this is really, really worrisome. Why doesn't this bother more people? Why don't we hear about this sort of thing far more often? What are your thoughts on the video? Lastly, what are your thoughts as a whole regarding buying and selling politicians like this? Should it be allowed? Should they be punished for doing it?

SmilinSilhouette likes this.

2. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

While I am not one to make excuses for politicians... I'm going to play devils advocate here for a moment.

I know there is a lot of pressure from many groups which provide campaign funds to certain politicians. If said politician doesn't vote the way the group wants, they will vow to not contribute in their next campaign. Many politicians find themselves stuck between two conflicting groups and have to basically choose one or the other.

I believe bribery is simply a way to save your ass from special intrests. I can see why they do it, but I do not think they should. Get rid of special interest funding and solve these problems all together.

3. Merc

Oh the system is definitely flawed in the way that it only favors though who accept funding from interest groups that are going to ask for protection or favors when that person gains power. But these people still have choices. I picked on the republicans here because they are the personal freedom party and for all the talking they do about allowing people to live freely and without interference, they appear to have no problem allowing this sort of subliminal control to take place.

4. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

The Republican party (at least the leaders) have turned away from the founding roots of the party and its principles. It doesn't surprise me that most of them see this as OK. I could spend all day telling you what I don't like about the Republican party and a lot of it's leaders, but on the flip side I could also tell you there are genuine conservative Republicans in the party as well.

5. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Well hold on to your hat Cons, while I agree with you 100% :lol:

This is more than disgusting! And as you have noted I'm sure it happens equally on both sides of the seemingly fake democrat/republican fence. This is why I use the term "ruling class". His "apology" of getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar and I won't do it again doesn't cut it with me.

I love your idea about making them wear their "sponsorship" maybe it should be tatooed on their foreheads.

As to why we don't hear about this stuff more often, IMO the media is complicient in the affair and only pull this stuff out when they have alterior motives. They play both sides of the imaginary fence.

Yea, they should be punished. By being FIRED by us!

If I could rep you 1000 times for this thread I would. How about that!

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree with this as well as the OP 100%. Reagan was fond of saying "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, the Democratic party left me" and I completely understood his point. I felt the same way about the Democratic Party and feel the same way now about the Republican Party.

I also agree there are genuine conservatives in the Republican Party and there are those who believe in the founding roots of the Democratic Party as well.

7. Merc

SS,

I think the problem is that people are complacent as long as "their team is winning" so to say. A lot of people have such uninformed opinions that they just follow like sheep. People supporting the republican party and wanting a fair, just and minimal government are getting minimal government but are still being watched and controlled by big business. My favorite comedic sketch regarding this is Lewis Black's bit entitled "Who's fucking who?" I'd post a video but I can't find it on youtube.

8. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

Well Cons, as we are both aware, when it comes to federal government none of us really has a "team" now do we?! Almost all of them are on their own team: that of the "ruling class". (and I hope you will find the time to read the Codevilla article, although I understand if you don't as it is kind of long and I'm not here to give you "assignments" :lol:) I can't agree with your statement that the republicans provide minimal government, it would seem that republicans abandoned that with Bush 1 and have only moved further away from that goal all the while claiming to still hold that ideal.

I have long held the belief that you and I are not as far apart as it may seem, despite our rhetoric. Not on every issue, of course, but the political chicanery and game playing by both sides. We just poke at it from different angles.:lol:

Maybe there is hope that even though we disagree on many little things that our mutual disgust with the status quo will lead us in the right direction. I certainly hope so.

9. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I thought for awhile Boehner seemed like a snake. What a disgrace. I agree that there are some good Constitutional Republicans coming in this year, but what worries me is the leadership of the Republican party is over-run with elite, power hungry rinos like Boehner, Trent Lott, McCain, etc..

Restoring honest leadership is an uphill battle. The party system is too strong. Without a strong, popular, honest leader like Reagan, Coolidge, Truman, T. Roosevelt or Kennedy I'm not sure if it can be done.

10. Merc

Sure you and I know that there aren't "teams" but that's a reason I dislike the mainstream media so much be it FOX, CNN, or MSNBC, they all continue to perpetuate the two party setup even though more than ever, people should be cooperating to prevent shit like this from happening. However, many Americans remain joyful in their bliss and wouldn't have it any other way because their way is easier as it requires less thinking. They watch political commentary like they do the weather, they just want to know who to hate, love and argue about that week.