"Buy a gun - piss off a liberal"

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
That was on a bumper sticker I saw this morning. It really bothered me for a couple of reasons. One, because of the assumption that buying a gun would piss off a liberal. I'm as liberal as they come, but it doesn't piss me off when someone buys a gun. (It pisses me off when someone makes assumptions about what will piss me off.) Two, because of the intention to piss someone else off.

Is this mindset typical of the right? Do people really want to go out of their way just to piss off the other side and make other people angry? Or do people generally believe life is better when we try to get along despite our differences?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
That was on a bumper sticker I saw this morning. It really bothered me for a couple of reasons. One, because of the assumption that buying a gun would piss off a liberal. I'm as liberal as they come, but it doesn't piss me off when someone buys a gun. (It pisses me off when someone makes assumptions about what will piss me off.) Two, because of the intention to piss someone else off.
I'm not trying to start anything here, but I'm pretty sure you've criticized Pro several times for wasted spending when he's bought guns in the past. It doesn't say it pissed you off, but you certainly didn't seem to thrilled about it.

Is this mindset typical of the right? Do people really want to go out of their way just to piss off the other side and make other people angry? Or do people generally believe life is better when we try to get along despite our differences?
Not this again.

It's a mindset typical of the right AND left. Both attempt to piss one another off because to be a member of a political party these days, one must also be no more than six years old mentally. The political atmosphere these days is ruthless and incredibly aggressive, supporting your party is like rooting for a college sports team. People vandalize and destroy opposing fans' property, make loud and crude protests and often harass players on the opposing team. We've really devolved in terms of politics in the last 50 years and I think it may even have to do with information technology.

*new thread idea*

Sim

Registered Member
Regardless of the question whether this is more prominent on one side of the political spectrum than on the other, I agree Cons has a point when he says the current political climate is very aggressive in the US, and people root for the parties as if they were sports teams.

I wonder if changing the American electoral system would be a good idea, in a way that would allow third and fourth parties to florish. In Britain, Germany and other Western countries, there are such electoral systems already. That would reduce bipartisanship -- if you are against one party, you don't necessarily identify with the other, but you have more than 1 other option.

It would be most interesting to see how this changed the discourse in America -- but I assume it will never happen.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
To me it's America showing it's young age. We don't like more than two options, we try and fit everything into two boxes. Problem is, boxes can only hold so much. Eventually the system will break and we will have more than two parties with strong voices.

Sim

Registered Member
To me it's America showing it's young age. We don't like more than two options, we try and fit everything into two boxes. Problem is, boxes can only hold so much. Eventually the system will break and we will have more than two parties with strong voices.
That's an interesting take, I have never seen it that way.

I'd have said maybe it's more showing America's relative old age: America's Constitution is the oldest of its kind among the Western nations, and other nations don't consider their constitutions almost sacred, as Americans do. This strong American belief in the Constitution is very good, on one side, because it's a strong bulwark against sinister attempts of scrapping it, on the other side, it makes it more difficult changing the details when time has shown a change might be welcome.

In France, for example, they just scrapped their old Constitution in 1959 (or 1960? Correct me, if I'm wrong), to replace an electoral system that has proven to be instable and annoying with a more stable one, in the new constitution of the 5th Republic -- If you proposed creating a new Constitution in America, even if the new would include all good sides from the old one, you can be sure nobody would even listen to you.

But now I'm going off topic ... anyway, thanks for your input.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't take it that way. I take the bumper sticker to mean there are those who oppose your constitutional right to purchase a gun, buy one to show them you still have that right. Of course, the sticker's wording grabs your attention so much better than what I just said.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't take it that way. I take the bumper sticker to mean there are those who oppose your constitutional right to purchase a gun, buy one to show them you still have that right. Of course, the sticker's wording grabs your attention so much better than what I just said.

That's a little wordy. Not all of that would fit on a bumper sticker.

But to the OP yeah...people on both sides of the parties say things just to piss the other off. Especially on this forum. lol

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
That's happening very rapidly actually. Now more people belong to the Independent group, i.e. no party, than any other party. It started with the collapse of the Republican party and now that the Democrat party is in collapse the I's are a powerful group. It could be temporary and by 2012 we could be a 40%-40%-20% nation again. Personally I think its a little more permanent that that, but who knows.

But concerning the OP, its just pushback on what a lot of Conservatives feel about specific liberal groups. I have family that is in logging and they have bumper stickers that say "If you don't want to cut down trees, try using plastic toilet paper". 1/3 the cars in Alaska had some reference to increased oil production. I've seen cars that said stickers that say "Why do liberals protest people wearing fur but not bikers wearing leather?" "Annoy a liberal, work hard and succeed". All are directed at groups inside the progressive camp that exist to tell people what they can't do: drill oil, cut trees, wear fur, etc.. A lot of Conservatives will come in print or electronic contact with someone saying "You can't XXXX" and the bumper stickers are just their way of saying "Who the $#$$% are you to say I can't?"

In most cases, there's no way to actually tell these progressive groups where to go so a bumper sticker has to suffice. Most people, particular Conservatives, never get to meet anyone in PETA, Greenpeace, ELF or the likes of Cass Sunstein or Al Gore so the bumper sticker becomes a way to get their frustration out.

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Ha Ha, It's a JOKE. Lighten up a bit Jeanie! Do you get pissed off at assinine liberal bumperstickers for misrepresenting your group?

Last edited by a moderator: