Butterfly Dagger - Elma June 8th, 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahh, this one. I used to have some trouble with this card back in the day before rulings and what-not. What can be said.

It is an equip that adds 300 attack. By no means a HUGE advantage. That's not the part that is the greatness. It's the returning of the card to your hand after it is destroyed.

Gearfried the Iron Knight does wonders in combo with this card. In the current Metagame, Elma might do a hell of a lot of damage if used with the right cards. I beleive a deck should be built around this card to be used right. If not, it's a waste of time.

Traditional 2.5/5
Tradtional (Deck for Elma) 4/5
Advanced *Banned*

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
The only thing that my fellow card review member left out are the cards that can be combined with it. All of them need Gearfried the Iron Knight to work. Royal Magical Libray combined with the dagger and the Knight will give you and endless draw. Spell Absorption trough into the combo will give you infinite life points. Woodland Sprite put into the combo can burn your opponents life points away in one toss (which was an untrue ruling that soundly got corrected). These 3 (if counting the Sprite) cards gave the dagger a one way banned.

Traditional: 5/5 (if you can work either or all perfectly)
Advanced: Banned

Kos4Evr

Registered Member
Bazoo and Kycoo were not about unclear rules. The effect was translated poorly and as such were later errata'ed to correct the problem. Woodland Sprite and the Butterfly Dagger never suffered from poor wording.

Woodland Sprite
Earth/Plant ***
Atk/Def 900/400
Effect
Send 1 Equip Card equipped to this card to the Graveyard. Inflict 500 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points.
Butterfly Dagger - Elma
Equip Spell
Increase the ATK of a monster equipped with this card by 300 points. When this card is equipped to a monster, and is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard, this card can be returned to the owner's hand.
Any one that can read can clearly see that Woodland Sprite doesn't destroy the equip card. Now lets look at Archfiend of Gilfer's text.

Archfiend of Gilfer
Dark/Fiend ******
Atk/Def 2200/2500
Effect
When this card is sent to the Graveyard, you can activate its effect. You can then equip it to a monster on the field, and this card will be treated as an Equip Spell Card that decreases the ATK of the equipped monster by 500 points.
Archfiend of Gilfer is treated as an equip spell and needs only to be sent to the grave from hand or field or even deck to grave.

Gilfer was a legal target for the effect of Woodland Sprite until...

Missing the Timing: "Archfiend of Gilfer" is a "when... you can" optional Trigger Effect. This means that "Archfiend of Gilfer" being sent to the Graveyard has to be the very last thing that happened in order to activate its effect.

lavoidgaskins

Registered Member
I understand what you are saying. How ever there were poor judge rulings and back in the days the judges let it go. It wasn't until about 6 months after that they wised up. 6 months happen to be an entire format. Trust me I'm in agreemeant with you so please leave it as it is.

Turbo

Registered Member
Kos is correct that it was in fact an illegal move based on card text and Lavoid is right that it was overlooked by most judges. Let's try to keep reviews in the future to legal combos not combos that were overlooked by judges.

Status
Not open for further replies.