Bush The Theocrat?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Hoosier_Daddy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

I ran across this little gem and thought I would share it with you. This is from an interview with Rodger Sherman of the American Atheist Press.

Sherman: "What will you do to win the votes of Americans who are atheists?"

Bush: "I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me."

Sherman: "Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?"

Bush: "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." --Translation = "My God" only.

Sherman: "Do you support as a sound constitutional principle the separation of state and church?"

Bush: "Yes, I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists."

Hoosier.

2. WindAndConfusion

WindAndConfusion Registered Member

That was Bush Sr., by the way.

3. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

You're right. I was so taken aback by the comments that I didn't pay attention to the date on the article.

Hoosier.

4. Mare Tranquillity

Mare Tranquillity Elite Intellectual

That just means that our current White House resident came by his nonsense honestly and he's not a woodscolt. Early-onset brain-death runs in the family.

5. Kos4Evr

Kos4Evr Registered Member

Yeah neither of the presidents Bush are going to be remembered well. Clinton was a better president in my eyes.

6. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU

This actually has the same quote in it.

Atheists are, according to a large survey, the least American of all. Yet they have produced a disproportionate quantity of scientists, are only .2 percent of the prison population despite being 10 percent of the population, and have lower divorce rates than most Christians.

I found it insightful. Watch it.

Kaz

7. PlainSight

PlainSight Guest

Now thats an odd video

Things worth noting: 21% of atheists get divorced. More Christians get married then Atheists, who can not get married and have plenty of sex (which lets face, is a really nice thing to have), as opposed to Christians, who CANNOT just live together, or just remain boy/girlfriend and have a sexual relationship, therefore, there is a larger percentage of christians inclined to promiscuity who get married then Atheists.

75% of prison population are christians. Beyond the "not really christian" argument, which gets old, Christians have a very, very aggressive conversion group for prisoners and drug addicts, who are often federal offenders. If someone robs a clerk in say 2002 to sate a drug addiction, and the same person gets converted to christianity in 2003, they remain guilty of their crime. Christianity, an old established tradition (all standing traditions have a higher propensity to corruptness then minorities. This fact hides in plain sight, there is much more worry about White Power movements then Black Power movements, for instance.), has many nominal followers, where as claiming flat atheism is a rare thing for the most part. 0.2% of Prison Population is atheist, compared to (so they claim, see my statement later) 10% atheists.

Further, the diagrams of the american population they use is in fact INACCURATE. In it, it itself admits that their figure for atheists include agnostics, a separate group. The Prison censurers are NOT liable to do the same.

Knowledge is not the same thing as Wisdom DAMN IT! I try and explain this very often to christians I know, I bring the point up, and I explain it, but they don't get it. Wisdom is knowing when to not doing something, and following through by NOT doing it, knowing when to do something, understanding what the best thing to say is, wisdom is the ability to interpret knowledge to do a good. In the context of proverbs, which was written by a finite man, he was quiet correct. The people were, at the time, idolators who killed their babies for good crops: This wasn't a good time for them now was it? Solomon was not a prophet.

Anything else you would like to hear my opinion on in that video?

8. Kazmarov

http://holysmoke.org/icr-pri.htm

This has the overview. It includes agnostics for polling reasons. Atheists and agnostics have almost identical prevalence in the US population, so the stat remains unchanged.

Kaz

9. PlainSight

PlainSight Guest

My apologies to both you AND of course the maker of the video, I believe I saw you as too bigoted to be trusted in such a thing, my statement was overly bigoted, so I apologize profusely.

Odd, strange, and yet, I feel just fine with that. Its better this way, people in prison may be facing deep crap, perhaps even the death penalty (which I personally hate.), it is better that they are christian, it is much better this way.

Can I explain the christian Vs. Atheist difference? I probably could, but it'd just be a rationalization. Can I explain WHY atheists behave better then Christians? Of Course. Would it be a convincing argument? Probably not. I will point out the conversion campaigns for drug addicts, prisoners, and other such people that we have and leave it at that. That remains my best argument and it is not without validity, so I will leave it at that. I'm curious though as to why the Atheists are rarer.

10. Kazmarov

I'm thinking it's because of the prevalence of Christians in high-crime and low-income regions, such as the Deep South. These regions also have high divorce rates.

Kaz