Bush lifts ban on offshore drilling

redsoxocd

living on the border
I'm not too surprised that he did this. I'm happy that he did it though. It should have been done a while ago. Even though we wont be able to get to the oil for like another 17 years, this is good planning to help the U.S. economy.

What do you guys think about this?

bball4life

Alfred :: Gotham Hero
i agree, in the long run, this is very good. now we just need to wait it out until we actually start getting oil from the new rigs.

Even though we wont be able to get to the oil for like another 17 years,
i dont think it will take like 17 years though

Blueyes

Registered Member
That probably just gave him some points on his approval rating to get him out of the slumps but he still holds the title for the worst approval rating now.

LMAO - this topic has the best title name. EVER! I don't even think you did it on purpose. HAHA

Back to the topic.

Glad that it's FINALLY happening. Sad that it'll be such a long time before we see any results, though. The people are still left with such high gas prices at the pump, and people who depend on it for their lively duties are suffering. Too bad there isn't a relieve plan that takes place immediately.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Took him long enough. Anyone with a brain has been screaming for him to do this for ...I don't know.... forever?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I'd only be mildly peeved it wasn't for the fact that the people benefiting from this are the people who bankrolled both of his campaigns.

The time it'll take to actually get a worthwhile amount of oil is time better spent encouraging and subsidizing alternative fuels.

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
The time it'll take to actually get a worthwhile amount of oil is time better spent encouraging and subsidizing alternative fuels.
You can easily do both at the same time.

The bad part is that congress will not lift their ban for a while.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
There's no reason why we can't do both (drill more and promo alt fuels). I'm a big fan of solar and I've heard that the technology will be fulfilled in 4-6 years, but if it cannot be viable, that's 4 wasted years of solar research. By itself that's a non-issue as long as research has been on going in other alt fuels and drilling has increased.

I heard a statistic that said in 20 years China alone will be using all of the world's current production of oil if they continue to grow at current rates. Of course, that's a big if and will not happen. But it does speak to the demand that is out there and the tragedy it would be if we went 20 years pursuing alt fuels and ended up at the same spot that we are now.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
There's no reason why we can't do both (drill more and promo alt fuels). I'm a big fan of solar and I've heard that the technology will be fulfilled in 4-6 years, but if it cannot be viable, that's 4 wasted years of solar research. By itself that's a non-issue as long as research has been on going in other alt fuels and drilling has increased.
Well, we can't be fiscally responsible and maintain oil company subsidies. We have to make a shift. I'm not a big fan of bankrolling the 'both' approach with money we don't have.

If we end oil company subsidies, they lose incentive to drill. You can't have your cake and eat it too.