Buried alive in ancient Egypt

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Mirage, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

In ancient Egypt, Pharaoh's guards were pretty much always sealed in the pyramid (or tomb) with the pharaoh when he died.

Sometimes they would be sacrificed so they would be dead when the tomb was sealed. It was believed that they would be with the pharaoh faster in the afterlife if they were already dead.

Other times they would be left alive in the pyramid after it was sealed. We know this because of skeletons found in obscure places in pyramids. I guess the belief might have been that they could help ward off evil spirits that came to haunt the pharaoh after death.

Odd stuff but what do you think? If you lived in ancient Egypt do you think you would "sign up" to be one of Pharaoh's guards knowing what would happen to you once he died? It would almost be your guaranteed fate unless you were to die before the pharaoh did.

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

Man that's a real bummer, I would never want to be a Pharaohs guard if I knew that was coming.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Only if I'm married to the pharaoh too.

4. Spackerchip

Spackerchip Registered Member

I'm sure the pharaohs guards took great honor in doing that.

5. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I'm sure that they probably did but it was most likely a bummer when they found out that they were going to die and there really was no way out of it, it would be scary to be sealed in a tomb with a dead guy.

6. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

In those times, the guards respected the pharaoh and would do anything, in this case, probably die along him, it was a great honour to them.

7. Kyo_Muramasa

Kyo_Muramasa Nefarious Kaizoku Capt'n

I would of rather drank something that tasted good and killed me than to rather suffocate to death in a dark and gloomy tomb of my pharaoh, but that's just the scared and logical half of me talking >.>;

But that's how some traditions were back then, if you die for your lord you will go straight to heaven or live on for enternity.....and that happens even today. But now a days we have weapons to ward off would be enemies and grave robbers which is good.

Babe_Ruth likes this.
  8. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Even in modern times, people are willing to die protecting a high status person, ideals, country, etc. and find it an honorable death. I'm just not the type to subscribe to it...I am only willing to die for some of my loved ones.

9. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I don't mind dying a quick death for a loved one, but suffocating to death or starving to death? WOW, those were some really brave and loyal men to do that. I could not pull that off. I'd be the one trying to dig a way out. Sheesh.

10. padd

padd Registered Member

:mellow: in today's day and age we have crane's and machinery and 6 years later we cant build ground zero, yet those fuckin egyptians built big pyramids with their hands.. crazy huh.