• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bundy supporters setting up checkpoints

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A Nevada congressman contacted law enforcement saying supporters of rancher Cliven Bundy have set up checkpoints for drivers’ “residency” before letting them pass, KVVU-TV reported on Monday.

Nevada lawmaker: Cliven Bundy supporters are setting up ‘checkpoints’ against residents
I don't know about the rest of you but this would make me mad. I don't want a armed militia making me prove I live in a area before they will let me pass and I don't blame the residents of this area wanting them to leave. No tourists would dare go there.

Seems at least some of these people that support Bundy would advocate just shooting any deserters in the back. [SARCASM]Great bunch of people there.[/SARCASM]

Thoughts?

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
First off, one needs to understand the distinction between not supporting what the government is doing and being a "Bundy supporter". I can disagree with what the government is doing while still advocating for liens to be placed against his property and any other legal measures available. I doubt Arturo Garcia has the intellectual capacity to understand that distinction given this, which is intellectually dishonest:

Buoyed by early support from conservative media, Bundy’s dispute with the BLM won him support from several self-avowed militia members and anti-government advocates, including James Yeager, the guns and weapon training company leader who threatened to “start killing people” last year over the prospect of stiffer gun safety laws and the group known as the “Oath Keepers.”
Reporting the news is support now? Much like the guy in the Princess Bride who continually uses the word inconceivable, I don't think the word support means what Garcia thinks it means.

That being said, these people have no authority to set up "checkpoints". I would argue neither the federal government nor the state government have such authority. We have federal checkpoints about 60 miles from the border which the SCOTUS has found constitutional, which I disagree with. We also have had our state department of public safety set up checkpoints to check for insurance or whatever, which I also find unconstitutional.

I find it ironic the group that calls for limited government is doing exactly what they complain big government does. They don't have the reasonable suspicion much less probably cause much less AUTHORITY to stop and check anybody for anything.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think these militia type's would be worse than the federal government if they were running things and you would think you woke up in Nazi Germany. I think they should be arrested for doing this.

I bet Bundy's neighbors aren't too happy with him anymore, probably can't stand him.

As far as Bundy they should sue him and if he doesn't pay sell his property like would happen to anyone else.

I don't like any checkpoints except next to the border. If you have probably cause they are drunk driving or something just stop them.

Sometimes I think media goes further than just reporting the news and they do come off as supportive.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Sure, all media does that to some extent, but I know who this Garcia clown is, my brother lives in San Diego and actually knows him, and I know the "conservative media" shot was at Fox News. If he actually bothered to watch Fox News Bill O'Reilly didn't show support one way or the other, in fact he barely spoke about it and had attorneys give legal analysis of the situation from both sides. Sean Hannity didn't support Bundy, he only showed indignation at the feds pointing sniper rifles at people. Not that facts matter much to Garcia (my bother is actually sympathtic to Garcia's viewpoint btw despite being an attorney for Homeland Security).

I agree Bundy's neighbors are probably fed up with all this, and unfortunately what could happen with this kind of protest is someone could get hurt. I argue with cops that set up checkpoints regarding their authority to do so, I would do the same at some illiterate idiot trying to do the same thing with even less authority than a cop. This can only get ugly.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I would feel safer arguing with a cop than I would these people that are dying for a fight with the government. I wonder what they would do if someone decides they aren't going to show ID and does argue with them. They already said deserters should be shot in the back. How far would they go.

Yes things could get ugly here because if they don't leave I look for the state police to intervene. If they are smart they will get out now.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sean Hannity didn't support Bundy, he only showed indignation at the feds pointing sniper rifles at people.
I'm pretty sure the militia had sniper rifles pointed at the feds.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.

I don't know what Sean Hannity said. But I do know someone was calling these guys "patriots" before Bundy's racist comments came out.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Bundy and some of his supporters did threaten the feds so I wouldn't have showed up without being armed.