Building on Perfection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by icegoat63, Oct 13, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

What is the best way to Build on Perfection.

Every once in a while we get something that simply feels like it is the best it can possibly be. Leaving little to no room for improvement or expansion. But low and behold.... the creators decide to build on it.

Some examples of things I would consider Perfect and yet are being expanded or followed up on:

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare ------> Call of Duty 6: Modern Warfare 2
    Halo 3 ---------> Halo 4
    Crank ----------> Crank 2: High Voltage

and there are definitely other things out there.

So what do you think the best way to Build on Perfection is? Build on the Design? Do you do something New?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Is this supposed to be about video games?

Halo 3 is perfect? :lol:

I don't think there is such a thing as perfect, at least when it comes to video games.

3. icegoat63

Nah, its about anything. I just happen to associate best with video games and movies. Hence why this is in General and not Video Games or Movies :hah:

I last talked to Swift about Halo 3 and he was very adamant and convincing about Halo 3 being the perfect 360 FPS. And then I asked him if they would be coming out with another halo to which he said yes, there is a projected one for 2010. And it plus other examples made me wonder how they plan on building on something that people already consider perfect.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  4. Major

Well I disagree about Halo 3 being perfect, as do a ton of very good players who actually think the game is garbage. But that's not for this thread.

On topic: When you have something that is considered perfect or close to it, whether it be a video game, a movie, architecture, etc, I think you should try to use as many of the same elements as possible from the original when creating the next object.

Using video games as an example, I think too often when there's a near perfect game, the developers want to try something drastically different instead of staying true to what made them successful in the first place. Usually these attempts to make things different and better is a huge failure.

5. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

But in video games, you don't want to make things to similar. You would lose too many people who liked the other game, but don't want to basically replay it, but it's just slightly different.

6. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

You have to remember that people don't miss what they don't yet have or know about.

I used to think the N64 game GoldenEye was perfect. I felt it would be difficult to top. Obviously improvements such as graphics are a given, but other than that I felt it was a perfect game. If I were to play it now though I would hate it. I played it once several years ago and the controls were unplayable, the framerate was intolerable, and the overall feel of the game was cheap and glitchy. I will probably never touch the game again, and yet I still rank it high on my favorite game lists because of my experience playing it while it was still considered perfect.

Of course losing interest in videogames in general probably has something to do with my attitude towards games now.

As a whole though, perfection in any category can always be topped. Usually by innovation more than recycling old ideas and formulas.

7. Major

Take for instance the Grand Theft Auto series. GTA III was thought to be a perfect game, glitches aside. Vice City and San Andreas weren't drastically different. It was basically the same gameplay but with new characters, a new story, and a new environment. Each game got progressively bigger, with more things to do, but the gameplay mechanics never changed. Rarely is there a sequel that has major changes that lives up to expectations.

8. icegoat63

That is a great example. I loved GTAIII and Vice City... but hated GTA IV.

Another one I was thinking of was actually in music. In fact thats what reminded me that I wanted to do this thread. The Album "The Cool" by Lupe Fiasco has quickly risen to one of my favorite albums on my ipod. Now he has another album coming out in a couple months.... and I was thinking the same thing, stay with the same theme? Or just start from scratch?

Me personally... I like small expansions. If it worked the first time, it doesnt need to be fixed or changed. Just mildly added on to. Sports video games are great about this as they rarely ever change drastically... because they dont have to. Its a workable design that people know and love.

The movie Crank was another example. I absolutely loved the first one. Non-Stop action, it was just a damn solid action movie IMO. I was excited to see Crank 2 thinking it'd be alot of the same, but holy hell I was vastly disappointed in that one. I mean they really ran the plot through the dirt for Crank 2. Where as if they would have just given me Crank 1 with the theme of Electricity instead of Adrenaline... I'd probably have loved it. :hah:

9. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Actually, I can't really think of anything that I'd consider "perfection". My favorite video games are Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl; yet both have huge numbers of problems. And like Hybrix said, when I go back to playing the original, which I loved at the time, it's amazingly slow.

My favorite movie (by far) is The Dark Knight, but it would have been better if Batman's voice wasn't distracting, and... umm... okay, that's about it ;).

10. icegoat63

How do you think they could improve to make a Dark Knight 2? Thats sort of what I'm asking for....