Building a Computer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Merc, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Okay so, talk to me like a first grader here. Once I get my tax refund, I'm going to look into buying parts for a desktop PC. What do I need to buy? What are all the components I need? I'd like something with some kick, not just a bare minimum PC.

Any help? I've been searching Newegg to try and piece together a list. All advice is highly appreciated.

PretzelCorps likes this.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

Um my mate used to work at a computer shop and if your getting something with some pretty kickarse hardware he advised to get a liquid cooling system...

3. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

4. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

don't need a liquid cooled system at this point. Unless your doing some stupid levels of OC. I have a rig here completely air cooled that runs any game at full settings. Do NOT get a water cooling system if you don't understand how to maintain it, but more importantly how to maintain it SAFELY.

5. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

Your motherboard can more or less be bought on the cheap. As long as it supports multi-core processors and has enough slots for everything else you're going to need, you should be fine. If you're planning on going 64-bit instead of 32-bit, make sure your motherboard supports it. If you don't know what any of that 64-bit, 32-bit is and don't want to worry about it, just make sure that you get the same number for your motherboard, processor, and operating system. Another thing you need to be aware of is SATA and PATA cables. Most newer hard drives and DVD drives are SATA now, and that's good, because SATA is much better. Essentially, just look for the number of SATA slots that are on the motherboard that you're looking to buy and make sure that you don't get more things that use SATA than your motherboard can handle.

Since you're asking us to talk to you like a first grader, I'm sure that you don't want to fuck with overclocking, SLI, or any of that other shit with your video card. Personally, I usually suggest avoiding video cards like this one:
    Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N879-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Those video cards are just plain huge, they're loud, and they're major power hogs. For instance, that card linked needs a 550 watt power supply minimum. Not worth it in my opinion. Though I am personally a fan of nVidia, I would go with a card more like this one here:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

It doesn't take up an incredible amount of room, runs on a 450 watt power supply, and has pretty decent specs.

Last tip for now, look into Dual Channel RAM. It's not so much of a function of the RAM itself, but more of the motherboard. Kind of hard to explain in simple terms, so do a bit of research.
    ------
    Yeah, I fucking hate liquid cooling. The idea of putting water in my computer just screams fucking awful idea to me. I never fuck with overclocking anyhow, if my games run at 40 FPS instead of 60 FPS I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  6. PentaCube

PentaCube Registered Member

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

the CIT class that I'm currently in had us map out the steps we'd use to building our own computer on a $750.00 budget. The instructor said we could use any sources however he recommended we checked out PRICEWATCH :: Price Comparison Tool - Find the lowest prices on computer parts, electronics and more before you buy it turned out to be a very good source of info, has everything you could need on there. I'd recommend giving it a look see as you get into the process of looking into purchasing stuff.

8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Processor:
    The heart of the PC.

You should idealy be looking at the highend Dual-core or lower end of the Quad-core. Whichyou want will depend on the computers use. A Games machine I would go for a dual-core whilst a multitasking software machine I would use a Quad. Look for something with at least 2.4Ghz per core in both scenarios.
    2 x 3ghz cores will outperform 4 x 2.4ghz cores

whilst 4 x 2.4ghz cores can effectivly perform better when doing more jobs at once.

Simlpe Analogy terms; YOu need to get your family from point A to B as quickly as possible. You can either take the 2 Italian sportscars or the 4 Japanese roadsters.

If there are less than 4 people in your family the Italian sports is quicker, if there are more than 4 or 4 fat pepole then the Japanese roadster will be quicker as there are a greater number of seats and the payload can be distrubutted.

Intel or AMD are the big two and it is a split community and the loylists will argue all day which is better. Have a look at reviews and decide for yourself.

Once you have decided on the processor you will need to know what socket it is. It will most likely be a 775 or an AM2 depending on the brand. Armed with this knowledge we can move onto:

Motherboard: The backbone of your system.

First we must make sure the processor is compatible by checking the socket(see above).

I would not go too over board on the motherboard, just get what is required. What you will need to consider is the

* Chipset(Intels) - little choice here, P45 is the most common.
    * Memory - How many slots does it have? what is compatible? and what is the maximum? Bascially you want big numbers here. Although realistically you will not need more than 4GB DDR2.
    * Expansion Slots - How much stuff you can plug into it! Lots of PCI-E and Sata slots = Good.

Memory: The brains behind the operation

What will work will depend on the motherboard. DDR2 is common, DDR3 is still expensive (but it maybe worth getting a motherboard that can handle them for future upgrades). THe FSB speed will also depend on the motherboard but generally bigger numbers = better.

Graphics Card: The optical nerve

This is what you play games on and fortunatly it has outdeveloped the gaming market so unless you go very cheap it should be able to handle most tasks, still its not worth cutting the price to much.

You basically have ATI or Nvidia, people swear by both. Look at reviews and decide for yourself. With the Nvidia series it will have a 4digit munber the first digit is the series and the next digit is the class. This will mean an 8800 is better than a 9200. Do not be overly fooled by all the letters, a GTX will be better then just a GT but by how much and does it justify the price difference (comparison sights like Tomshardware come in handy here).

The Gfx will also have inbuilt memory. Big numbers are better although anything over DDR2 512mb is sufficient.

Power Food for the system

Not much to say here. I would not get anything under 600w. Preferably with a nice big fan on it and of a reputable brand.

Cooling:
    The perspitary system

Something to keep all the bits cool. I would nto bother with water cooling, it is little more than showing off.
    You will need;

* Case Fan. Something to draw air into the case, cheapo and cheerful they are all the same.
    * CPU Fan. A more complex fan that will cool the processer directly.

A Case:

You will need somewhere to stick all of this stuff. Make sure it will fit in its desired location other than that most sizes are standard. Personaly I would prefer to spend the money on better graphics than a pretty case.

Other:

DVD drives, hard-drives, extra USB drives, Firewire ports, Card readers. Sound cards*.....there are a host of other stuff you may want, it depends what you need. Best thing to do though is make sure you have lots of sata and PCI-E slots on your motherboard and only buy compatible to them. Most of the stuff you buuy will have cables but its always worth buying 1 or 2 sata cables just in case.

*Most motherboards have onboard sound hence it being optional.

I dont think I have forgotten anything.:confused:

Bananas Recommends

Ever consider a dual monitor. You would be surprised how useful it can be. Some games have dual monitor capabilities(game on one screen and map/chat on the other) or you can surf on one screen whilst playing your game/chatting/working on the other. My last upgrade involved a 2nd monitor and it is one of my single most best buys with regards to computing. Nearly all graphics cards can handle two screens so why not!

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm getting ready to start my project pc. My big thing right now is getting my hands on the upgrade peices I want first before I even start re-building. I plugged it in and hooked the VGA up to my TV in a triumphant success a little while ago. But yeah heres what I got so far:

http://www.generalforum.com/blogs/icegoat63/258-my-project-pc.html