Build stomach muscle while burning fat, or after?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Unity, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

I've been wondering how much time I should focus on situps and exercises to build muscle in my midsection. I'd love to have strong muscles there, but I have a considerable amount of fat to burn first.

For those who don't know, I just had a kidney transplant after doing peritoneal dialysis for a few years. This type of dialysis really stretches the stomach (not sure if that counts stretching muscles out as well), so I've got work to do.

Just looking for advice/input on (1) good ways to burn stomach fat, (2) on ways to build stomach muscle/tone, and (3) on whether to work on both simultaneously (vs. waiting until the weight is gone before building more muscle).

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I find that with myself any kind of exercises burns stomach fat, at least that's the way it seems, I've never exactly had much fat to burn there, but I'm a heavy eater and am yet to gain any fat there.

The best way to lose fat is to have a conversion, build muscle at the same time, it's by far the fastest and most efficient way to get results.

I have a pretty good 6 pack going, I didn't get that from doing tons of ab exercises, I got that from backsquatting and deadlifting, maybe a bit of dumbell push press, I've never focused on abs.

If you can I'd try to get some basic lifting going.

Otherwise if you're really just looking for a way to burn fat, I can't think of a better way than running it off, nothing beats running.

Unity likes this.
  3. Unity

When I go to the gym I do cardio (bicycle) and then lift..so hopefully that's helping. I can't do deadlifting or the bigger freeweight exercises because I have hip replacements on both sides...that being said, when I do the squat machine I do feel a lot of burn in my midsection.

4. dDave

Can you squat with a bar or can you only do it on the machine? I've done it on the machine a few times, and while yes it burns, it simply doesn't use your core as much (stabilization reasons).

I'd get into running. (not the treadmill, rather, outside) But if not, a good alternative is to up the resistance on the bike and try to keep your pace from an easier resistance level. The key to burning fat is to go for long periods of time, once you pass a certain point (usually around 20 minutes) of a consistent pace you're burning more fat than carbohydrates.

5. Unity

I think I'm supposed to stick with the machine...running's another issue with the hips due to the amount of impact. I've been going around a half hour on the bike but without much resistance, if I go higher res. I can't go as long. Figured I'd build it up.

6. dDave

Yeah so that's what I'd go with then, build up your endurance so you can use higher resistance levels on the bike for 30 minutes. With that though be sure to keep your speed decently high.

How many RPMs would you say you average? (most bikes tell you this or have a setting for it)

I'd say that you should definitely keep it above 50, probably 60 minimum no matter what level you're on, if you go lower on your RPM count then you have too much resistance and need to take the level down.

7. Unity

The last time I went, I actually had a much better cardio workout than I've had in a while...I was consistently in the upper 60s/lower 70s with RPM. As I said, I credit a lot of that with only doing a 2 or so resistance, but I was able to get into a zone much easier than I had when using a higher resistence. But thanks for the advice on keeping an extra close eye on the RPMs, hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to watch that and up my resistance a little.

8. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

why don't you click on the "tip of a fat belly" ad so I can finally know what it says? lol

seriously, though, one huge thing you can do to help eliminate fat around your middle is to avoid refined carbs. No white flour and no refined sugar.

You can work on fat burning and building muscles at the same time. Having a strong core is important. Have you tried Pilates yet? It's a good way to get some variety in your routine, and does wonders for your core. Planks are good too.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm not sure how you feel about this but you could also take some fat burners, but still keep working out at the same time. I know a few people that take it and it works fairly well.

But like I said I'm not sure how you feel about taking suppliments.

10. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I wouldn't suggest taking any type of pills though, so soon after a kidney transplant. you don't want to risk it messing with your other meds.

Building muscle helps burn fat faster. I usually do things like leg lifts for the lower abs, and some machine at the gym for upper abs. Depends on what I'm in the mood for at the time. A good thing for the sides is holding a push up type pose...but holding with your elbows. I usually do that pose for about 20 seconds, then flip over and do the leg lifts...then repeat until I can't do it anymore.

Also, don't pay attention to the RPM. That is not important and is not a very good gauge of the work you are doing. Some people can do more RPM than others with little effort...for some it takes a lot of effort...especially if you're not in shape.

For the cardio, I would recommend finding out what your target heart rate range is, and going by that. You can google it, put in your age, and it will tell you.

If you need any help with specific exercising schedules and such, send me a message and let me know what you're currently doing, so that I can see how low impact it is and come up with recommendations.

Babe_Ruth likes this.