• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bruins' Tim Thomas skips White House visit because he disagrees with Obama

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't ever recall a sport's MVP in the championship skipping a White House visit because he disagrees with the president's politics

Bruins MVP Tim Thomas skips Obama White House event; why he shouldn?t be demonized for it | Puck Daddy - Yahoo! Sports

To me, you attend out of respect for the office even if you don't agree with the person currently holding that office.

Bad move from Thomas. And, no, I'm not just saying this because I cannot stand him.

What are your thoughts? Freedom of speech or disrespectful?

BigBob

Registered Member
I can't say I'm surprised since I'm pretty sure he said months ago he was going to skip it. It's Freedom of Speech regardless if it's disrespectful or not. Should he have gone? Yes, out of respect he should have gone. But again, it was his choice.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I understand that he acted on strong principles. But overshadowing a team function like this might cause a stir in the locker room.

He should of just bitten his tongue and went with his other teammates. Even Kaberle was there and he's not with the team anymore.

Kratzenkov16

Registered Member
i like tim thomas alot but i kinda think he should have been there with his teammates

but its his call, whatever...should have done it for his team but i wouldnt get mad at him about it

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
I'm not surprised. Not to stereotype, but Thomas comes off as a simple, small town man with strong values, and he seems committed to what he believes in. I don't think any less of him for doing it. I don't like Obama either, but I would have gone. It's totally about his personal freedom and he shouldn't even have to explain himself.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
It might've been worse if he attended and ended up doing something worse. At least with skipping, that's the end of that.

I couldn't imagine missing out on a chance to meet the president though, no matter how much I didn't like him. It's just one of those things that's cool to have done. I guess as an athlete, he could have future chances.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with the second part, Oxy. This was a chance of a lifetime to go to the White House. He might not like the President, and that's fine, I respect that. But not showing up was disrespectful in my opinion and might hur the team's chemistry.

All-Star game is this weekend, I'm sure he's going to get a lot of questions about it.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
He'll get lots of questions today in Washington, DC before the game. Also, here's an interesting stat: in the last 4 years, teams that visited the White House are 0-4 in the game played right after the visit. With the distraction of Tim Thomas, I would expect that to hold up, even to a badly injured Capitals team missing their captain for 3 games. The Bruins may be a great team, but they aren't immune to distraction.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think they'll probably go with Rask tonight, for more reason then one.

Also, Dave Hodge from TSN posted this on his twitter:

"I Don't know if its fair to point this out, but Tim Thomas has 3 children named Kiley, Kelsey and, Keegan"

I wonder if he's going to get fired over this, so be interesting to see how TSN re-acts.