• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

“Brown Sugar” Is a Dirty Song About Slavery and Sex, and I Love It

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://www.vulture.com/2015/04/brown-sugar-still-tastes-good.html

Is this like the Redskins, in that it's something abhorrently racist that's been accepted for so long it's just been accepted until people really started to think about it? Or maybe there are artistic merits to the lyrics? Is it a sexist and racist song or as song about sexism and racism?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What can I say, it was the 60's. Sure it sounds racist, misogynist, but so are some of the songs written by rappers today. Music often pushes things to the edge.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Well it's not like it still gets any air play at all, at least not around here. Maybe on Pandora or whatever. But yeah, people got away with stuff decades ago that would never fly now. Look at Blazing Saddles, ffs.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well it's not like it still gets any air play at all, at least not around here. Maybe on Pandora or whatever. But yeah, people got away with stuff decades ago that would never fly now. Look at Blazing Saddles, ffs.
Another great example is All in the Family. That would not fly in this day and age.

To me it's also like "Sex Type Thing" by the Stone Temple Pilots or "Atlantic City" by Bruce Springsteen. It's sung by a character.