• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Broken heart syndrome

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The proverbial broken heart threatens anyone brave enough to put his love and trust into someone else’s hands. It’s that emotional phenomenon your mother warned you about during infamous teen angst years. But what happens when a broken heart is more than just a flood of feelings and actually enters into a physical, sometimes life-threatening state?
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/...tudy-finds-heartbreak-can-literally-kill-you/

I knew getting dumped or having a loved one die could make you feel bad or even sick but I didn't realize it could be so deadly. Of course if you are in good health that is not likely to happen but if not it could. Guess this is why so many older people die so close together. They are just so unhappy without them.

When our neighbor died it was only about 6 weeks before his wife did, sad.

Have you ever become sick after a break up? Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Stress brings about high cortisol levels which in turn lead to increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and a plethora of other health issues. This includes any and all forms of stress, from traumatic experiences to dealing daily with a dick of a supervisor. I'm afraid this is not news. To combat stress, practice deep breathing exercises, meditative exercises such as meditation or yoga, and make dark chocolate your friend if it isn't already.

- Cham

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
A bad breakup certainly hits you hard, especially if you loved them.

I had a hard time functioning for a few weeks after my last breakup. It wasn't made any easier by the fact that she didn't have the guts to end it and I had to do it for her.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
A bad breakup certainly hits you hard, especially if you loved them.

I had a hard time functioning for a few weeks after my last breakup. It wasn't made any easier by the fact that she didn't have the guts to end it and I had to do it for her.
This. This a million times.

My last break up was pretty brutal. I lost a bunch of weight because my appetite was gone, and there were days that I just literally refused to get out of bed and do anything. Not to mention the low self esteem that followed suit. It was fucking terrible. I'm pretty hypersensitive (thank you, anxiety!) so anything that's a 5 or a 6 to most people is a goddamn 10 on the Richter Scale for me. I'm sure, that on some level, it was the same for him too.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This. This a million times.

My last break up was pretty brutal. I lost a bunch of weight because my appetite was gone, and there were days that I just literally refused to get out of bed and do anything. Not to mention the low self esteem that followed suit. It was fucking terrible. I'm pretty hypersensitive (thank you, anxiety!) so anything that's a 5 or a 6 to most people is a goddamn 10 on the Richter Scale for me. I'm sure, that on some level, it was the same for him too.
I'm the same way if its someone I was in love with.

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
It is something legit, I've known people who got so sick physically and emotionally from a bad breakup that it took their toll on them to the point that some didn't recover for months or even years. Some didn't recover at all and even died cause they never got past it.

I had that syndrome for a while with a couple breakups but never got to the point where it so badly affected my health that I ended up in the hospital or anything like that.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I used to handle heartbreak like a shithead, so the only type of physical sickness I ever came close to was alcohol poisoning. Thankfully I outgrew that nonsense.

These days mine is a 100% mental. I just obsess over everything I did wrong, depression usually makes a cameo appearance, and then I do a lot of writing and listening of whiny music. I usually live to fight another day.