Broken childhood dreams.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Syndicate, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

One thing I've learnt from growing up: things don't always pan out how you dreamt they would.

I had a few aspirations when I was a wee lad that never came to be. Probably the foremost was my ambition to become a professional footballer. My dad had all the signs of a good career forming, in youth football, until he was struck by an illness at age 17. His love for the game carried on to me but unfortunately, after only managing to play for a few local youth team, I realised I wasn't going anywhere and gave up completely after a couple of problems with one of my toes developed.

What were/are your childhood dreams? Have any of your greatest ones come true [yet]?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008

2. agphoenix

agphoenix Everything goes.

I'm sorry about football bro. I would rattle on about the toe but, thanks for the morbid thread.

When I was young[er], I wanted everything to do with sound and music. I primarily wanted to compose music for video games, commercials/ advertisements etc. I never really wanted to be a 'stage artist'. Then I befriended the idea of becoming an Audio Engineer. That started to pan out in the States, but ended up hitting a ceiling that just had to be broken.

I always wanted to end up being with a wonderful woman. 'True love' I think I called it!

Now, I'm in Italy with my own Audio recording and sound design studio [very, very small]. And I'm with a wonderful woman. It's a start?

But I failed oh so many times and now I feel like I'm starting my life much later than I should have. [PLEASE don't start with 'Well, at least you have started because so many blah blah] And I fear that the 'true love' aspect of my life might not follow the 'third time's a charm' rule.

I suppose my childhood dream of being at peace has not come true yet. But I believe I have only myself to blame for making the mistakes I made.

Nice thread Syn..now piss off. :( :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  3. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I had the typical young girls dream - being a popstar, being a vet and I also wanted to be on the checkout counter at a supermarket!

When I grew up I realised I couldn't sing, I didn't have what it took to be a vet, and that working at a supermarket wouldn't be a job to brag about!

4. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

I wanted to be a vet, and I wanted to marry a ninja turtle :lol:

As I started to get older I realized that being a vet wasn't all about getting to play with animals and making them feel better, it has the darker side of seeing animals in pain, and possibly even causing them more pain. Also, telling a heartbroken owner that their furry baby has to be put to sleep or isn't going to make it is just something I would never want to do. That dream died pretty quick.

As for the ninja turtle one...well...I have dated a lot of martial artists, just none with green skin.

Bliss likes this.
  5. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Boys can want to be vets, too, you know. I was hooked after reading the All Creatures Great and Small trilogy. You can guess how that dream turned out.

I also hoped and expected to marry only once, for love and for life. Pffft. Shotgun wedding at 15, and 'hello, divorce court' while I was still a minor.

Wear a condom, boys. Take the pill, girls. And don't read James Herriot's autobiographies.

6. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

My biggest childhood dream was for a better childhood.:( It didn't happen and so I moved on into adulthood with the sole purpose of making sure that any children I had would have the opportunity to smile and be happy with life every single day.
    I'd say my girls are happy most of the time, so no complaints.:)

Tucker and Bliss like this.
  7. agphoenix

agphoenix Everything goes.

Good on you Angels.
    They're very lucky.

8. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

Usual crap-popstar, vet and the pink power ranger.

Pink power ranger- well...i grew up.
    Vet- didn't want to put the animals to sleep :(
    Popstar- Can't sing, but my dad and nan say i'm a good singer and have me on tape.

Tucker likes this.
  9. Obsessiforge

Obsessiforge - Diderot Reborn -

my childhood dreams are ironically the ones I formed in the last year: to be successful in both musical theater or comic art. now here's the thing; I know they're still dreams, and that they probably won't happen, but it takes me a LONG time to give up on something, even after its probably hopeless.

Bliss likes this.
  10. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

They won't if you have that attitude. You have to tell yourself every day that it can happen, and if you push enough, there's no reason for them not to.