• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Brodus Clay - Straight from Planet Funk

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Since he debuted as the Funkasaurus, we haven't had an official discussion thread about Mr. Brodus Clay...so here it is!

Somebody call my momma!

What are your thoughts on Brodus Clay's new gimmick? It was a huge surprise to most wrestling fans when he re-debuted this way. Do you enjoy it? Loathe it? Do you think that it will last, or will Brodus Clay go back to being a "monster" soon?

Dis...My bad...Funkscuss Brodus' direction here!

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
To be honest I was shocked and almost angry when he came out as the Funkasaurus, but I don't know why I like him so much. He reminds me of the Godfather a lot or Ernest the Cat Miller. You don't see that anymore, I think it's more nostalgia more than anything the reason why I think he is awesome.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Funkscuss? lolol...

When it was first happening I think my jaw was on the damn floor. I couldn't believe what I was seeing it was so out of left field and crazy. But hell, I love his song, he's awesome in the ring, and his comments during the matches are brilliant.

I dunno how long its gonna last but I am enjoying it!

Kratzenkov16

Registered Member
i still dont know what to think

i was hoping for a monster and we didnt get it...although he is still crushing people so its ok

and yeah, the song is pretty catchy lol

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
To be honest I was shocked and almost angry when he came out as the Funkasaurus, but I don't know why I like him so much. He reminds me of the Godfather a lot or Ernest the Cat Miller. You don't see that anymore, I think it's more nostalgia more than anything the reason why I think he is awesome.
I was the same way as the bolded part of the quote from blue, there...when all of this started, and there had been promos promising a monster, I was really PO'ed. I mean the first reaction to his entrance was shock and laughter, I was losing it laughing but the more I thought about it I kept saying "We don't need another Rikishi," etc.

The more he's been out there, the more I've enjoyed Brodus' gimmick. It's hilarious, he has some great facial expressions and mannerisms to make it work. Like Millz had said, he's got funny in-ring quotes that make for fun-to-watch matches every time. "Should I get him?" :lol:

I do think that eventually Clay will break free of the gimmick, but I think it's also a great way for fans to warm up to him. As Del Rio's bodyguard he was just kind of there...a year or so like this could give Clay some experience and fan recognition that IMO he really did need.

As you can see from my avatar and sig, I went from hating this gimmick (My bad!) to loving it...I'm enjoying it for what it is, for sure.

Ziggy

Sup?
It's fun.

We don't need another big scary guy because the WWE has those. I think the only comedy guy out there is Santino and whilst he's awesome we need more of this kinda stuff. Doesn't anyone else miss the outrageous gimmicks?

It seems like everyone is just a straight faced wrestler.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe everyone was confused when Brodus Clay came out with his new gimmick. Ziggy said it perfectly.

They already have to many big monsters. Mark Henry is obviously an analog. Kane is in a program with Cena and Ryder as a reborn demon from hell. Skip Sheffield said he's coming back as Ryback, a Terminator-like character he used in Ohio Valley Wrestling a few years ago. When Big Show is a heel, he's always portrayed as an unstoppable beast. Husky Harris will probably be back in the main roster soon, and even if he lost weight, I'm guessing he won't be back as a substitute Sin Cara.

That's why they had to shoehorn Mason Ryan into a face turn that made little sense for a guy who was already neon green. It didn't work and now he's treading water on Superstars with Ezekiel Jackson, another monster heel that had two ill-advised face turns.

Brodus Clay will have a lot more short and mid-term success as P.N. Funkishi, especially when he grows into the role, than Big Fat Wrecking Ball Heel. It's not sustainable, but characters evolve, and he can shed some of the dorkier elements as time goes on. And if it's a big bust, creative can retool and have him be Fall of Humanity Brodus Clay.

Or he can stay a fun, over midcarder, which WWE has been lacked in the post-Attitude era. Maybe Val Venis, the Godfather and Al Snow never won world titles, but a lot of fans marked out for them when their music hit.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Well, judging from the promos, I thought they were gonna build him up as a monster heel, but when he debuted as the Funkasaurus (lol) I immediately thought it was a punishment because of the whole "I'm gonna debut and "injure" John Morrison" Twitter-leak fiasco.

Whether it's a punishment or not, it seems to be working in his favor. It has a really nostalgic feel to it. Kinda like the Godfather. The fans are really digging his new gimmick - probably because it was unpredictable and no one saw it coming. Plus, it looks like he's genuinely having fun out there night in and night out.

I don't think it's enough to carry him to the mainevent tho, but then again, you don't really have to be a maineventer to be successful in the WWE. If this gimmick is his way of getting his foot in the door, then I say it's a fantastic start. :thumbsup:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I believe everyone was confused when Brodus Clay came out with his new gimmick. Ziggy said it perfectly.

They already have to many big monsters. Mark Henry is obviously an analog. Kane is in a program with Cena and Ryder as a reborn demon from hell. Skip Sheffield said he's coming back as Ryback, a Terminator-like character he used in Ohio Valley Wrestling a few years ago. When Big Show is a heel, he's always portrayed as an unstoppable beast. Husky Harris will probably be back in the main roster soon, and even if he lost weight, I'm guessing he won't be back as a substitute Sin Cara.

That's why they had to shoehorn Mason Ryan into a face turn that made little sense for a guy who was already neon green. It didn't work and now he's treading water on Superstars with Ezekiel Jackson, another monster heel that had two ill-advised face turns.

Brodus Clay will have a lot more short and mid-term success as P.N. Funkishi, especially when he grows into the role, than Big Fat Wrecking Ball Heel. It's not sustainable, but characters evolve, and he can shed some of the dorkier elements as time goes on. And if it's a big bust, creative can retool and have him be Fall of Humanity Brodus Clay.

Or he can stay a fun, over midcarder, which WWE has been lacked in the post-Attitude era. Maybe Val Venis, the Godfather and Al Snow never won world titles, but a lot of fans marked out for them when their music hit.
Wow, great post Biz...you took what a lot of us were thinking - that there are already enough monster heels at the moment - and really put it into mega detail. Interesting thought that even the Funkasaurus character can evolve over time, and a great point that in the Attitude era even characters like this were loved, sometimes more than the serious ones.

Well, judging from the promos, I thought they were gonna build him up as a monster heel, but when he debuted as the Funkasaurus (lol) I immediately thought it was a punishment because of the whole "I'm gonna debut and "injure" John Morrison" Twitter-leak fiasco.

Whether it's a punishment or not, it seems to be working in his favor. It has a really nostalgic feel to it. Kinda like the Godfather. The fans are really digging his new gimmick - probably because it was unpredictable and no one saw it coming. Plus, it looks like he's genuinely having fun out there night in and night out.

I don't think it's enough to carry him to the mainevent tho, but then again, you don't really have to be a maineventer to be successful in the WWE. If this gimmick is his way of getting his foot in the door, then I say it's a fantastic start. :thumbsup:
Another good point, and proof that Brodus has people talking! I guess that's a good thing. I don't see this version of Brodus in the main event, but again just lightly guessing I could see him becoming serious in the future and getting to that level if this run gives him as much success as we think that it will. I agree, fantastic start. :nod: