Britain Rethinks Immigration Policy

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by ysabel, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Time To Go Back Home
    Give me your tired, your poor, your … ballet dancers? How Britain is rethinking immigration.

When I saw this article I suddenly thought of how Pugz would be happy about it so I decided to share it here. :lol:

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

This is one of those stories I resent and this sentence sums it up:

Immigrants do not take jobs they compete for jobs just like everybody else. They have an equal claim to apply for a job, the difference being is they dont price themselves out the market like the "natives" do. If you can not get a job due to migrant workers then you have to be realistic and ask your self a.)am I competitive b.)am I in the right job.

The question of immigration is all about the economic system it has little compassion towards the workers their ethnicity or homestead, it is the wonderful world of capitalism. We can buy our TVs from Japan, our cars from Germany, our washing machines from Italy and our clothes from China, we can also employ our staff from Poland, Bangladesh and the Philippines! There is very little difference. The economic gains in the long run will always add to and enhance the local infrastucture that has to absorb the initial population bloom.

You rarely hear a British politician complain about the number of British migrant workers in Iraq, Bahrain, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Norway, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, the US, India, China to name but a few. Where the majority of enginbering projects are led by British engineers, a large portion of the financial markets have British bankers and consultants. They may not be sweeping the toilet floor but they are competing for jobs against the local populous, whilst increasing productivity and generaly benefiting the local economy. Hell they even create a job by having a toilet floor for someone to sweep;). The migrant workers give jobs to those who manage them in admin, human resource and management, the shop keeper who serves them food and the landlord that charges them rent, to the builder who built the house.

If you blame anyone it is not the migrants but the economic system, yet when we all so blatantly abuse it who are we to judge.

Edit: I thought I throw this in to lighten things up a little
    YouTube - Doug Stanhope on Immigration

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
    ysabel likes this.
  3. Bjarki

Bjarki Registered Member

The real issue here is the media linking anti-immigration policies to financially inclined xenophobia.. it sounds logical and it provides a scapegoat (a retarded joe the plumber who cannot think outside of his wallet), but it's simply NOT TRUE.
    Complaints about the immigration policies are at least a decade old and were first raised in times of economic prosperity and welfare, not in times of crisis. Furthermore, it takes more than a week for politicians to come up with new policies, so it's not the current crisis who has stimulated them to come up with these 'xenophobic' ideas. It's just another part of the current 'let's link it to the crisis'-franzy combined with a politically correct urge to relate 'xenophobia' (or rather any measure that isn't pro-minority or pro-immigration) to financial egoism and shortsightedness, or downright stupidity..
    It seems more logical to me that the crisis has not lead to random xenophobia, but rather to a careful reconsideration of economics and finances. Things have to be done more effectively. How? By keeping useful workers and keeping out those who are superfluous. That has nothing to do with xenophobia, it's common sense.

I've got nothing against polish people working in vital sectors, as long as the competition is equal (which is often not the case, as migrant workers tend to take things easily on the rules) and their stay is temporary.
    The kind of immigration the British government wants to limit is that of people who have nothing to offer. Who are neither political refugees nor useful for the economy. People bound to end up living on state benefits.
    Sounds like a healthy measure to me.

4. Pugz

Pugz Ms. Malone V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm actually quite indifferent about this, it's good to know that we're not just letting in ANYONE but it's still making it harder for us average joes who want a job, have qualifications but are still being beaten by forigners who are willing to work for less.