• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Bring foreign Ebola patients to U.S.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The State Department has quietly made plans to bring Ebola-infected doctors and medical aides to the U.S. for treatment, according to an internal department document that argued the only way to get other countries to send medical teams to West Africa is to promise that the U.S. will be the world’s medical backstop.

State Department plans to bring foreign Ebola patients to U.S. - Washington Times
I don't think so, if other countries medical workers become infected they need to take them to their own country. If they use our specially equipped jets to transport their infected people they need to pay the $200,000 for its use. Don't expect US taxpayers to pay for everything.

Fortunately these discussions have been shelved and I hope they stay that way. The only people I want brought back here for treatment is our own citizens. If these countries keep insisting on this before they will send in medical teams its just an excuse to back out of helping.

Thoughts?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I agree. I do not like the idea of people not getting treatment but to bring people over on mass could cause massive problems infection wise and logistically could it even work? I imagine they would need to have closed off airports similar to that seen in ET or Flight of the Navigator. And what of the people brought over? If they get better I cannot see them wanting to return to an infected area.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think some countries are wanting a guarantee that we will bring their infected medical workers here before they will commit to sending anyone into Africa to help with Ebola. To me it sounds like they aren't really wanting to help, and know we won't do this, which gives them a way out of helping.

They can get treatment in their home countries. No one is denying them treatment I just don't want them brought to the US for that treatment. Its very expensive to treat an Ebola patient here and taxpayers shouldn't be asked to pay for it as you know we would. Let their country treat them and pay for it.

dDave

V.I.P.
There are many hospitals in Europe that can handle this just as effectively as we can.

I'm tired of the U.S. Taxpayers forking out the cash for everything. Other countries can help, they can stop using us.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I cannot speak for other parts of the EU but I could not see the UK taking in anyone. I am not talking as me but from the point of view of politics.

David Cameron may allow migrants to come in to for humanitarian reasons but all of the people who hate Cameron for migrants would go mad and it would almost guarantee the loss of the Conservatives. If he did not do it the people who voted for Cameron may not wish to vote for him for leaving people out in the cold. As well as this if it did happen Nigel Farage would be rubbing his hands together proclaiming that if the UKIP came into power it would never happen again.

Like I say, this is not my opinion but more commenting on what I am seeing politics wise here in the UK these days.