• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Brewery Tours

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
One of my new favorite things to do when I travel is to sample the local beers and either do a brewery tour or eat at their brewpub.

So far I've been to...

Dogfish Head Brewery - Milton, Delaware
Evolution Brewing Company- Salisbury, Maryland
Breckenridge Brewery - Breckenridge, Colorado
Mammoth Brewing Company - Mammoth Lakes, California
Crux Fermentation Project - Bend, Oregon
Deschutes Brewery - Bend, Oregon
10 Barrel Brewing - Bend, Oregon
Lagunitas Brewing Company - Chicago, Illinois

Dogfish Head, Deschutes, and Lagunitas are fairly well-known and widely distributed. Breckenridge might distribute nationally as well. But the rest of them are pretty small and only distributed locally.

Crux and Lagunitas were my favorites. Crux had a wide variety of beers to sample, and their food was amazing.

Lagunitas opened their Chicago brewery in the last year or two (they were previously brewing in California). Their tour is fantastic (and free!). They don't skimp on the free beer either. I probably got the equivalent of four free beers there. Did I mention it's free? Highly recommended on your next visit to Chicago.

I've also been to the Miller brewery in Milwaukee, but I was a kid and did not get to sample the beer. It was still cool to see the production and bottling on such a large scale though.

This summer I plan on touring Sam Adams in Boston, and perhaps visiting a couple of smaller breweries in the New England area as well.

Anyone else like to visit breweries when they travel? Where all have you guys been?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am jealous that you've been to so many. I've done the AB tour in St Louis on a couple of occasions and its pretty awesome to see. The brewery is actually a lot bigger than I thought it was.

I've been to a couple of the smaller breweries in the St Louis area as well but can't really remember them all, they weren't much of tours anyway haha

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Surprisingly, I've never done any. But, they're not very common in my area, and that's the biggest reason why. There's a Steam Whistle Brewery right beside the Rogers Centre in Toronto that I want to do one time since I heard it's pretty good, and I am a fan of the beer.

I agree with, Millz, that's a mighty impressive list you got going.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm ashamed to say I haven't done any. I love beer so much.

I really want to do the AB one here in St. Louis but I also want to do Schlafly and some of our smaller breweries.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I am jealous that you've been to so many. I've done the AB tour in St Louis on a couple of occasions and its pretty awesome to see. The brewery is actually a lot bigger than I thought it was.
Yeah, I'm sure that place is massive. I'd like to get down to St. Louis one of these days to check it out.

I've been to a couple of the smaller breweries in the St Louis area as well but can't really remember them all, they weren't much of tours anyway haha
That still counts. Not all of the ones I listed even had tours. You can just go in there and order samples.

Surprisingly, I've never done any. But, they're not very common in my area, and that's the biggest reason why. There's a Steam Whistle Brewery right beside the Rogers Centre in Toronto that I want to do one time since I heard it's pretty good, and I am a fan of the beer.
Is craft beer a big thing in Canada? Seems like there are breweries popping up everywhere in the States.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Craft beer is also getting pretty big here in Canada. Every time I go to the LCBO(liquor store) they have new craft beer. I'm all about trying new beers I haven't tried before.

I mostly buy my craft beer that is brewed from this place:

http://www.amsterdambeer.com/

They have some real good selections.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
St. Louis definitely has some good craft beers and smaller breweries. Schlafly felt that way at first but they've gotten a lot bigger. Now we have Urban Chestnut, 4Hands, Six Row, Civil Life, O'Fallon Brewery, Ferguson Brewery, etc. I'd love to tour the first two I mentioned soon.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The only one I've been to is the Anheuser-Busch in St. Louis. My favorite part was seeing the horses and wagons. Dang those horses have big feet.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd love to try their Boneshaker IPA or Fracture Imperial IPA. Have you had either of those? They sound really good.
I really love their Boneshaker IPA. It's a stronger beer with a bitter finish. I would definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoys beer.

Same goes for Fracture. Stronger beer than most, but really refreshing.

Both really enjoyable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Offbeat News 1
Bliss Wrestling 8
Major Sports 3