Brevin Knight Becoming A Hot Commodity

S

scottmcgrady

Article 1

Charlotte Observer - Both the Toronto Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers , amongst other teams, have been talking with Charlotte Bobcats ' coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff about point guard Brevin Knight at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp, the Charlotte Observer is reporting.

"There's a lot of interest in Brevin," Bickerstaff told the Observer on Thursday. "Most of the conversation includes him.''

Knight is considered expendable with the emergence of last season's lottery pick Raymond Felton.

"If I'm going to play just a little bit of minutes, I'd rather be on a playoff team," Knight said during the season. "So if (the situation) changes, we'd address that."

Bickerstaff did say that Knight will be able to have some input on any trade, but will not be given the power to veto a deal should one arise.

"He doesn't have veto power," Bickerstaff said. "But I wouldn't just throw him in a situation that wouldn't be right for his skills."

Article 2

ORLANDO, Fla. - The pre-draft camp is supposed to be about rookies, but the Charlotte Bobcats keep getting asked about a veteran.

Brevin Knight. It sounds as if a deal could happen this summer.

"There's a lot of interest in Brevin," coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff told the Observer on Thursday during a break at the pre-draft camp at Disney's Wide World of Sports. "Most of the conversation includes him.''

Bickerstaff said he's spoken with the Toronto Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers, along with other teams he didn't identify, about various possibilities. The Raptors and Blazers could use a veteran point guard, although at 30 Knight would likely be more attracted to a contender.

Knight is aware the team might consider trading him, with Raymond Felton emerging at point guard late last season. Bickerstaff asked Knight to play more off the ball the last month of the season to allow Felton to develop.

Neither Knight nor his agent, Bill Strickland, could be reached Thursday. Late in the season Knight said he'd prefer to remain a Bobcat, but if his minutes drop dramatically, he'd be receptive to a trade.

"If I'm going to play just a little bit of minutes, I'd rather be on a playoff team," Knight said during the season. "So if (the situation) changes, we'd address that."

That process might soon begin, although Bickerstaff said the team isn't close to a deal. Bickerstaff respects how Knight helped shape this franchise, and wouldn't blindside him.

"I haven't talked to him, but I will," Bickerstaff said. "It would entail him getting some input."

That doesn't mean Knight could kill a good deal.

"He doesn't have veto power," Bickerstaff said. "But I wouldn't just throw him in a situation that wouldn't be right for his skills."

A deal could be complicated because teams with the most use for veteran point guards -- contenders -- might have the hardest time fitting Knight's salary under their caps. He'll make $4.2 million next season, so the Bobcats would likely have to take back some salary from any team acquiring Knight.

Also, Bickerstaff says he has to be realistic about how high a draft pick he'd get in compensation.

"You're not going to break the bank (trading) him," Bickerstaff said. "You have to be careful if you're talking about getting greedy. Brevin came here as a free agent. If you get something in return" you're ahead.

Notes

• It appears the Bobcats will have a second-round pick after all. Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith told Bickerstaff he'll pass on taking the Sacramento Kings' second-rounder. That means the pick -- 50th overall -- would go to the Bobcats to complete the trade of point guard Jason Hart.

The Bobcats lose their own second-round pick -- 34th overall -- to the Los Angeles Clippers to complete the deal that sent Melvin Ely and Eddie House to Charlotte.

• Bickerstaff is impressed with South Carolina forward Renaldo Balkman, who seems to be rising up numerous draft boards. Balkman showed great energy and rebounding in the NIT, and he's played the same way here in pre-draft camp games. He had 14 points and 11 rebounds in 23 minutes in a game Thursday morning.

"He's really helped himself. The guy is everywhere with a great nose for the ball. He contests everything," Bickerstaff said. "He's the kind of player who, if you moved a veteran player for a pick, he's the reason."

Bickerstaff isn't alone in that regard. A scout with a pick in the bottom third of the first round said his team would consider Balkman
How do you rate Brevin Knight and do you think he should be traded. He's one of those players who i think deserves to be on a good team because of his consistency with his team and he has a good ability to score, although he is a small player.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Before he became a Bobcat he wasn't a hot comodity, but now that he average close to 11 apg a lot of team are interested in him, I don't think he'll remain a Bobcat for a long period of time just because Raymond Felton is the point guard of the future. I would like to see Knight in a Raptors uniform.

P

preludepunk27

Brevin Knight has been super on Charlotte the past 2 seasons. I live in NC and love watching him play (I want him dead when I go to Net/Bobcat games though). I think a team like Toronto would be a perfect fit for him as long as they are ok with the rest of the team carrying the scoring load. I want him on the Nets of course (him and Ely in a package and I'd love life) but too bad that won't happen.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see that happening either, you would have to give up something pretty big to get those players, and I can't see anyone from the big four getting traded, even for those players, and I don't think Knight would be to happy playing behind Jason Kidd.