Breaking News: Australians DO want an 18+ game rating!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Nevyrmoore, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Recently, the Australian government sent out a survey asking the public if they wanted an 18+ rating or not. And guess what? Turns out an overwhelming majority do, in fact, want one.

A representative from the Copyright and Classification Policy Branch has said that they have received 6,239 submissions, and have processed 1,084 thus far. Out of those 1,084 submissions, only 11 are against the idea of an 18+ rating. That's more or less 1%.

Okay, so there's still 5,155 more submissions to go, but if this trend continues, then I think it pretty much shows that the Australian public want that damn rating!

...or does it?

A while back, Michael Atkinson dismissed the survey, saying that if there is overwhelming support for the rating, it is because the only ones who gave a shit were the gamers. Disregarding your thoughts on him, you have to agree that he may have a point there.

Finally, in the end, this survey will ultimately change nothing, as long as Mr. Atkinson holes the position of Attorney General. It is through his single no vote that the rating is not being added, and unless someone can get him to say "Fine, have your 18+ rating!", he will continue to vote no. The only way this rating is getting through is if the next person to fill the position does not share Mr. Atkinson's thoughts on the matter.

That, or the other Attorney Generals, say, find a way to ignore his vote entirely...

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

LMFAO isnt that who is supposed to give a shit? I mean really... its not like Diabetic Grannies for the Conservative Party are the ones this ban would effect. Why would the opinion of anyone else even matter here?

3. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

That point is wholly irrelevant. This survey isn't surprise news that's been kept from the Austrailian public. It's a fact of democracy --> If the majority of persons in Australia are somehow opposed to an 18+ rating, they don't seem opposed enough to come forward about it or even spend 30 seconds writing down their answer on a survey.

It's like federal elections; you don't get to bitch about the person who gets elected if you didn't even bother to vote yourself.

4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Surely the purpose behind classification is suitability, depending on the subject it maybe in everyones interest if it is suitable and who is exposed and what the consequence of that is.

I do also have to side with the results of the poll. Both with and without my gaming hat I would prefer the correct age groups being exposed to only games that are suitable for them, and see game restriction as no different than that of motion pictures ratings or television watersheds.

5. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Thing is, you have to bear in mind that the only people that can actually vote on this issue are the Attorney Generals. I get the feeling that Mr. Atkinson will try to make any number of points to continue his war on video games, regardless of their relevancy. He's not going to roll over and admit defeat that easily, simply because of a survey.

So then, the question is how long will he last before the people kick him out of office.

*EDIT* I've just been made aware that there is a South Australian state election on March 20th. Let's see how that goes, shall we?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010