• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Boy Sneaks Onto Plane Flies To Las Vegas

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
MINNEAPOLIS -- MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A 9-year-old Minneapolis boy was able to get through security and onto a plane at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport without a ticket, an airport spokesman said Sunday.

9-Year-Old Boy Sneaks Onto Plane Without Ticket At Minneapolis Airport, Flies To Las Vegas
In this day and age of heightened security at airports I can't believe a boy was able to pull this off. He had already walked out of a airport restaurant without paying and left a package behind. Usually leaving a package behind would get the bomb squad called but I guess not for a boy. I would like to know why he did this also.

Elanor

Registered Member
It is quite shocking that no one questioned what a 9 year old was doing in an airport without an adult, and then for him to get through security and onto the plane! I wonder why he was even at the airport? It doesn't say if he was there with his family, or if he had just decided to take himself off to the airport.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
It's worrying that something like this can happen with the supposed security at the airports. Having traveled through a few airports in the States myself, I am kind of dumb founded as to how this boy managed to do this. I think it shows there is a weakness in airport control and security.

Why did this boy do this and where was his parents?

lenamrie1979

Registered Member
I have been keeping up with this story and this is what I am reading:
1) He is a known runaway
2) when the police showed up at his family's house, they said "We haven't seen him much today" which leads me to believe they rarely know where this 9 year old is.
3) He was able to board the plane by blending in with a family that had multiple children. But that still doesn't explain security. When I travel with my 7 year old out of Atlanta, they ALWAYS ask her to tell them her name, then my name to verify our tickets.
4) They say he was at the airport scoping it out the day before. How smart can a 9 year old be? If my kid was that smart, that would TERRIFY me!
------
And new details are emerging:
Source here
The boy – who, because of his age, is not being identified by name – is no stranger to trouble, reports Minneapolis radio station KFGO AM, which says he's broken into a waterpark without buying a ticket.

Last week, says the station, he was arrested for driving on I-35 in a stolen car.

The station also says his mother works at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport, and that Minnesota's Hennepin County child protection workers reportedly have investigated the boy's family four times since December 2012.
Driving a stolen car?!

Last edited:

Elanor

Registered Member
He sounds like a proper little tearaway! The extra information, if accurate, certainly helps put the story into context. Something needs to be done with this family though, this kid could get himself into some serious danger if he is allowed to carry on like this.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Arrested for driving a stolen car, sounds like he is in trouble all the time. I hope this time someone decides to do something about it before he does something to get him or someone else killed.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
This is incredible! For someone big (an adult, of course), they wouldn't get far before being spotted by authorities. This boy, on the other hand, although he's in trouble, I'm actually impressed by what he did to board a plane to Las Vegas. He better be lucky that no charges are being filed against him. What further awaits is unknown.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
In light of all the news updates on this, I kind of feel sorry for his parents. I don't know the whole story or what happens in their house and why, but it definitely sounds like this is a problem child. Sounds like his parents have their hands full with him. But then, there might also be a reason he so desperately tries to get away all the time.

Welfare should probably do an in-depth investigation on what is going on in that family.

Elanor

Registered Member
I don't quite understand how they can assume that when he didn't reappear after taking the trash out, that he had gone to a friends. Surely if he wasn't back after a few minutes you would go looking for him, not just guess? It is all well and good the Father asking for help, but the parents should take some responsibility, they are the ones that are raising him, so he would of got some of his character from them.

I may be being a bit harsh, but I think they need to help themselves, they can't expect others to do the work for them, support them yes, but sorting the kid out is their responsibility. Maybe a few boundaries and consequences, the Father doesn't need to resort to punishing physically, that will teach him nothing good.

The whole situation is quite concerning.