• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Boxing training: exercises and music

Tristan84

Registered Member
I'm trying to get in shape by training for boxing. I already do heavy bag work, mostly ground-n-pound, on a homemade heavy bag. The reason why I do ground-n-pound is because it's not thick enough to stand freely on its own and I don't have anywhere to hang it in my basement apartment. It's made of cardboard and duct tape, constructed and rolled in such a way that there's air pockets between the layers, so there's not just solid cardboard. I have wrist wraps and boxing gloves for hitting. I was just wondering what anyone else who boxes for fun does to train.

Also, what songs do you listen to while training? I'm trying to come up with a good playlist to make on my ipod.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I can't help you too much on the training part. I don't do boxing myself. But my favorite workout song that really gets me going is "Help I'm Alive" by Metric. I usually have that on my number 1 song for a workout playlist.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I would invest in a heavy bag and a stand. I bought mine at Academy. The bag is a 100 lb bag and the stand is a stand alone stand. I also have a speed bag bolted into the wall of my garage. I also bought my gloves at Academy. As for music, I listen to classic rock while working out. I would also suggest buying a good jump rope. Everlast makes some really nice ones.

Tristan84

Registered Member
I would invest in a heavy bag and a stand. I bought mine at Academy. The bag is a 100 lb bag and the stand is a stand alone stand. I also have a speed bag bolted into the wall of my garage. I also bought my gloves at Academy. As for music, I listen to classic rock while working out. I would also suggest buying a good jump rope. Everlast makes some really nice ones.
I'm very resourceful. I figured that making a punching bag out of recycled materials and duct tape would help me save money. Second, I have mild Cerebral Palsy on my left side, so a jump rope wouldn't work out too well. I'd be falling on my butt or face more than anything else. Also, I'm visually impaired. I know for a fact that my timing is screwed up. I bought my boxing gloves and wraps from the Jamestown Cycle Shop. The wraps are Everlast 108 cm hand wraps. The gloves are TKO 16-oz. one-size-fits-all gloves. I I bought those for $11.99. They have velcro to secure them around the wrists. I had to cut the palms a little to be able to fit my big hands into them. I know what you're thinking, that I shouldn't have done that. I wouldn't have if they were more expensive, that's for damn sure.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Not a bad price for those gloves at all. Good luck. Boxing workouts are great workouts. I've been doing them since I was about 14. I fought in 3 amateur fights. Boxing has been a part of my life for years.

Tristan84

Registered Member
I'm not interested in actual fighting. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, and he said that boxing is one of the best cardio exercises, and it's a good endurance exercise. I'm 293 lbs. and I'm trying to lose weight and improve my endurance, so I can go on longer walks without having to rest as often. My family has a history of heart disease, so anything I can do to prevent it, I'm willing to do.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I've heard the same. Boxing is a great cardio exercise. And like CO mentioned, skipping rope as well, which is what boxers do a lot of too.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Tristan84

Registered Member
I know that skipping rope is a good boxing exercise, but in my small basement apartment, I wouldn't have room. That and with my luck, I'd be tripping rope and falling face-first into the TV, or falling backwards and making another hole in my wall. The first was from when the property manager was trying to find out where the water was coming in at when my downspout was frozen and leaked when it'd thaw.

BigBob

Registered Member
Boxing alone isn't going to be enough for you to lose weight, at least from personal experience.

I went from 410 to 360 in roughly 4-5 months boxing, lifting and doing treadmill-cardio. I quit lifting and doing the treadmill stuff and I could not lose weight, and that was boxing four times a week for upwards of three hours.

As for music, anything hard. Hard, fast rap. Heavy metal. That stuff is what I workout to.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
I just scurry over ta Aus and find me a 10 foot croc ta practice on. Ya really gotta know yer Jujitsu with them mate! They make for good eatin' though. :D

- Cham