boredom leads to depression?

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by BigBlue, Oct 8, 2006.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue ----------------------

does it? because I have nothing to look foward to in a while at least besides bball season and school is getting lamer everyday, now im feeling sad and depressed for no reason.. I dont even want to do homework... sigh* life is so boring now.

2. Fresh

Fresh Aw, Here It Goes!

You should get in to something you now like after school activity or something with your friends. Me and my friends are getting into making beats/songs and doing graffiti, its exciting to me at least.

3. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

I thought depressin was caused more by sadness....

oh well. sorry man. if it helps, I'm bored too....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. +KJ Sensei+

+KJ Sensei+ Guest

Well boredom could lead to depression but that doesn't mean that you have depression. Everyone can get depressed at times. Well I don't really know what to say other than do stuff that you like to do to keep yourself busy. I have depression so I just do things that I like. You could hang out with your friends, play video games, play sports, draw, write, etc..etc..^^

+KJ+

5. Casualtie

Casualtie Guest

I would say that its defenately possible because you could feel after a while that your bored because obviously you have nothing to do, and because of that you may feel unimportant.

Don't get discouraged though. I'm bored all the time and I'm not unimportant.

6. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

Because you're bored, you get depressed. Because you're depressed, you don't want to go out and do things... which furthers the depression.

I'm sort of struggling with this too... I don't know how to advise you.

7. Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy Registered Member

Tan & Sen, et al.......

The best thing you could do for yourself right now is to follow through on your plans to start a new fitness routine of some kind and stick to it. It'll get those endorphins poppin' and that will give you a huge jump start each day. Even if it's something as simple as getting out and jogging a mile or so every day, you'll start to come out of this funk that you're in. And, yes, I think you're more in a rut than feeling actual depression. I once asked a physician when I was a younger man why I always felt so down when the Winter months came. He told me that like most all mammals, the human goes into a from of pseudo hibernation during these months unless they add something extra to their daily routine. He suggested that I do exactly what I'm suggesting that you do. Get out of the house and get active. You'll be glad you did.

Hoosier.

8. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Related to Hoosier's point about pseduo-hiberations

http://www.newstarget.com/001541.html

Seasonal Affective Disorder, which can cause depression directly. But, generally this is what happens when you don't get enough natural sunlight. Early in the morning, later in the afternoon, whenever...get outside. The more light you get, the more you get used to being outside, the more you exercise, the more energy you have to deal with school. Plus it helps with Vitamin D in addition.

Kaz

9. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

I don't think boredom leads to depression. I think boredom leads to...more boredom. I don't think you'll starting getting depresed that your not doing anything, it's your decission that your not out doing anything. If your bored most of the time, (people say) your more likely to drink alcohol or do drugs etc.

10. yeahjazz

yeahjazz Guest

Quick answer. NO. Everyone will tell you to exercise or find some hobby, but that will only delude yourself into not thinking anymore about whether you are not depressed.
    Basically, if you are truly depressed doing these things would only be like a natural drug and mask the symptoms. So, if doing these things do make you happy, then you just went through a hard time and were sad.
    I think the term "depression" is thrown around and has lost a lot of the meaning that it should have. Being depressed is a serious issue that isn't fixed by just exercising or playing video games. Those things help feelings of saddness and lonliness.
    So yeah, i just rambled on there. My best advice is to listen to everyone else, b/c more then likely, you are just going through a hard time.
    Plus, boredom is all a state of mind anyway. It's just not doing something when you'd rather be doing something else. Either make yourself comfortable with that or just go do something