Bored with traditional dining?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Try out dining as extreme sport!

Source: Eating to Extremes | Print Article | Newsweek.com

High-end adventurers have plenty of options, from luxury safaris to guided Antarctic treks. But few think of food as a frontier offering the same kind of adrenaline-rush-inducing excitement. Maybe they should: a growing number of restaurants offer new opportunities for those bored with traditional dining. Forget wearing a sport coat while waiting for a soufflé; this is eating as extreme sport.

Dinner in the Sky elevates top chefs, along with other staff members and 22 guests, to unmatched heights—up to 50 meters in the air, to be precise—where they can enjoy open-air bird's-eye views and Michelin-starred cuisine. The dining platform is raised by a crane, and can be erected anywhere as long as there's an available surface of approximately 500 square meters on the ground. Each dining event is customized to reflect the organizer's preferences; Dinner in the Sky provides the technology and helps secure the desired talent, such as Alain Passard of the three-Michelin-star L'Arpège in Paris.

Prices vary dramatically from country to country depending on the chef and number of guests; in Belgium an eight-hour event starts at $11,600. Although Dinner in the Sky may not be the best choice for those with a fear of heights, the experience has been authorized in more than 15 countries, including those with tough regulatory standards such as the United States. Each seat comes with a four-point seat belt, which must be buckled at all times. More important, bathroom breaks are allowed; the whole table will have to go down with you, but it takes less than a minute (dinnerinthesky.com).
Anyone else imagine "free fall" ride with that last sentence? :lol:

Anyway, would you try this out? There are other examples of "extreme dining" in that article, including riding a giant ferris wheel (similar to London Eye) or dining as blind (in the dark) or at a snow restaurant (everything in the resto structure is made of ice). I think they'll be cool to try. :)

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I think all the ones you mentioned would be pretty cool to try. I'm not a huge fan of heights unless i'm strapped in, so the dining in the sky one would be alright. Just imagine the views!

Bliss

Sally Twit
I feel funny just looking at that picture. I would not do that in a million years. I like my lunch without a side of vomit.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
The one for the blind is a restaurant in Paris. They lead you in your seat into a dark room with blind guides to help you with the dining experience. It seems that they want to have a sense test (taste being stronger when you can't see?) --- i wonder if it's similar to having sex in complete darkness. :hah:

AeonFlux

I am the edge!
I think they all sound like they could be fun, but I wouldn't be willing to pay them thousands of dollars just to have an interesting dining experience.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It looks interesting, I would like to give it a try one day, would be something different lol.

Anyone else imagine "free fall" ride with that last sentence? :lol:
LOL :lol:
Anyway, would you try this out? There are other examples of "extreme dining" in that article, including riding a giant ferris wheel (similar to London Eye) or dining as blind (in the dark) or at a snow restaurant (everything in the resto structure is made of ice). I think they'll be cool to try. :)
Yeah I could definitely be persuaded to try it, I'm not too bothered by heights usually. I think I'd prefer the other ones you listed though, they sound more like something I'd want to do. But still, yeah, I wouldn't mind trying this.