• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Border agents told not to talk to media.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
WASHINGTON (AP) — The surge in immigrant children caught crossing the southern border in Texas that has dominated headlines and risks becoming a political crisis for President Barack Obama and Congress includes a new threat facing Border Patrol agents: reporters.

Border agents in Texas warned not to talk to media
Why would they care if border agents talked to media? Are your estimates of 47,000 children traveling alone across the border since October not accurate? Is there something to hide? Like you would rather the public didn't know how many there really are because people don't like whats being done about illegal immigration? Maybe taxpayers won't like that it is costing them $252 a day per child to take care of them and you expect another 160,000 next year and these are only the children?

I've been reading that these kids are coming up from central America alone and being reunited with parents already here. What's that all about? You just take off to a foreign country and leave your kid behind. I think once they get them together they should deport them all.

Sorry that seems so harsh because I do feel sorry for these kids and of course I want them treated well while they are here but it shouldn't be a permanent stay. There are kids throughout the world that have it just as bad or worse, wish we could help them all but in their own country. We can't take them all in or we will end up overpopulated and bankrupted. Imagine the strain this puts on social services and ultimately taxpayers. This may be part of the reason Brat beat Cantor.

There has been a recent surge of illegal immigrant minors flooding over the banks of the Rio Grande and into Texas, and recent figures says the children are costing taxpayers $252 per day per child: - See more at: Illegal immigrant minors will cost U.S. taxpayers more than $2 billion
This one kid didn't think it was illegal to sneak into the US and said everyone in her home town was doing it.

Flood of Illegal Immigrant Children into Texas Costing U.S. Taxpayers Billions

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
It's because someone doesn't want the border to make the news and border agents are very knowledgeable about a lot of stuff that happens. There's bad stuff going on down there, it's a humanitarian crisis. People are bringing disease, drugs, weapons, etc. over the border. It's so bad that many of the agents that should be patrolling the border can't because they have other things to deal with once the people are already here. They need more manpower, they've always needed more manpower, and neither congress or any administration has ever given them what they need to do their job.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm not even sure more manpower is the answer, to be honest. I was on the Mexican border a couple years ago and it was astounding how much manpower there already is on all of the roads within several miles of the border. You see a border patrol vehicle literally every minute. I think they should probably stop wasting their time and resources on the unconstitutional checkpoints that they have set up everywhere within about 50 miles of the border, and they should focus on the border itself. But even then, people and drugs are going to make it across illegally no matter what. There are tunnels everywhere for smuggling.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm not even sure more manpower is the answer, to be honest. I was on the Mexican border a couple years ago and it was astounding how much manpower there already is on all of the roads within several miles of the border. You see a border patrol vehicle literally every minute. I think they should probably stop wasting their time and resources on the unconstitutional checkpoints that they have set up everywhere within about 50 miles of the border, and they should focus on the border itself. But even then, people and drugs are going to make it across illegally no matter what. There are tunnels everywhere for smuggling.
The border is huge, I'm betting they need more manpower. What they've got now clearly isn't working.

There are some things we can do to make illegal immigration harder and/or to make it less appealing. There are some big ones in here.

1.) Tighten the security signifitantly on services we offer including voting rights, access to education, employment, government handouts, drivers licenses, etc. Illegal immigrants shouldn't be able to get things only citizens are supposed to get. One thing that bothers me is that taxpayers shell out a ton to pay for healthcare for illegal immigrants, I get that it's morally wrong to turn away dying or very sick people though; I have no idea what to do about healthcare specifically.

2.) Do not grant citizenship to people born here unless one of the parents is already a US citizen.

3.) Stop this talk of granting amnesty. As long as anyone is seriously considering this we are going to continue to have more and more people crossing the border in hopes of becoming citizens of the USA. We already have a path to citizenship, use it.

4.) Set a national language, it's called English. I realize this will never happen but man oh man wouldn't it be nice?

5.) Make the path to citizenship more accessible. I mentioned the citizenship path earlier. Now, I'm not sure what this looks like but at least everyone we let through the citizenship path is documented. I am not saying just let everyone in, that's not a good idea.

6.) Enforce the laws we already have in place. If the authorities find an illegal immigrant then deport them back to their country, how hard could it really be?

7.) Apply extreme pressure on Mexico's government to fix their situation. It's really bad down there and it has been for years, what are they doing to fix it? Apparently not enough.

I used to work with a few illegal immigrants at Sonic. I know they were illegal because they got deported back to Mexico (and/or Guatemala) and then they come back 3-4 weeks later and are telling me about it when they come back to work. (This is why I thought to include limiting employment only to those who really have the right to work here). Apparently illegal immigration is easy if they can come back so easily after being deported. Some of them are nice people but every single one of them has committed a crime. They really do not belong here if they aren't citizens or have paperwork from another country. Sorry, but we can't make exceptions. It sucks but that's the way it's gotta be.

This was on the news last night. Powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5R5zX7Fng

Last edited:

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Border Patrol agents are warned not to talk to the media? Is that more of what Obama calls transparency?
Btw when the government can tell the media what it can and cant print isnt that called state run media?
Well if they dont do something to stop all the migrations then America could be the new Mexico and Brazil with drug cartels running the country.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The border is huge, I'm betting they need more manpower. What they've got now clearly isn't working.

There are some things we can do to make illegal immigration harder and/or to make it less appealing. There are some big ones in here.

1.) Tighten the security signifitantly on services we offer including voting rights, access to education, employment, government handouts, drivers licenses, etc. Illegal immigrants shouldn't be able to get things only citizens are supposed to get. One thing that bothers me is that taxpayers shell out a ton to pay for healthcare for illegal immigrants, I get that it's morally wrong to turn away dying or very sick people though; I have no idea what to do about healthcare specifically.

2.) Do not grant citizenship to people born here unless one of the parents is already a US citizen.

3.) Stop this talk of granting amnesty. As long as anyone is seriously considering this we are going to continue to have more and more people crossing the border in hopes of becoming citizens of the USA. We already have a path to citizenship, use it.

4.) Set a national language, it's called English. I realize this will never happen but man oh man wouldn't it be nice?

5.) Make the path to citizenship more accessible. I mentioned the citizenship path earlier. Now, I'm not sure what this looks like but at least everyone we let through the citizenship path is documented. I am not saying just let everyone in, that's not a good idea.

6.) Enforce the laws we already have in place. If the authorities find an illegal immigrant then deport them back to their country, how hard could it really be?

7.) Apply extreme pressure on Mexico's government to fix their situation. It's really bad down there and it has been for years, what are they doing to fix it? Apparently not enough.

I used to work with a few illegal immigrants at Sonic. I know they were illegal because they got deported back to Mexico (and/or Guatemala) and then they come back 3-4 weeks later and are telling me about it when they come back to work. (This is why I thought to include limiting employment only to those who really have the right to work here). Apparently illegal immigration is easy if they can come back so easily after being deported. Some of them are nice people but every single one of them has committed a crime. They really do not belong here if they aren't citizens or have paperwork from another country. Sorry, but we can't make exceptions. It sucks but that's the way it's gotta be.

This was on the news last night. Powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R5R5zX7Fng
I watched your video and its appalling what is going on at the border. I like your ideas and I would go one step further and say they aren't immigrants they are invaders. They came here for a better life but in the process its dragging this country down.

They need to shut up about path to citizenship, they shouldn't get citizenship at all. They should be treated like invaders, criminals. We need to forget about Iraq and protect our own borders even if we have to use the military to do it.

I'll be voting for someone that is tough on these invaders. It should be illegal to hire them or put them on welfare.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
As long as they don't treat these people like they're breaking the law then we are going to have a problem.

We have politicians who care more about the well being of illegals than their own constituents, it's absurd.

Why are we fighting for these people but not fighting for our own people?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It doesn't make sense to me to keep letting them have citizenship. Clinton did it and it wasn't long until we had millions more wanting citizenship. At some point we are going to have to treat them like criminals which they are.

You know we give aid to all these countries they come from. Maybe we should tell them we will cut off their aid if they don't secure their own borders.

I realize they have it tough in their own countries but so do Africans, Asians, Middle Easterners, we can't help them all. They are going to have to stand up for themselves in their own country.

One thing I thought about is if the majority of our gang problems stems from so many illegal immigrants.

dDave

V.I.P.
Here's something that will make you blood boil. This won't pass I'm sure but I can see some democrats not getting reelected because of it.

In New York, a Bill to Grant Undocumented Immigrants State Citizenship - Businessweek
The last paragraph is what gets me the most.

“The problem with the Arizona law and the copycat laws around the country is that they were intruding upon the unique province of the federal government to determine who gets to enter the United States and who gets deported,”
The Arizona law wasn't intruding on anything. In fact, the whole point of the law was to enforce the federal laws already in place. Oh but don't worry, Arizona residents are racist against Mexican people because they support this bill... :rolleyes:

I don't get it. Some people are reprimanded for trying to enforce the law. Why is it law if you aren't going to be allowed to enforce it? :stare:

Sometimes I can't help but think that Democrats want to give all the illegals citizenship simply because they know that their party will receive the majority of the votes from these people. Luckily there are enough people on both sides (especially Republican on this particular issue) that are blocking this from happening.