Movies Borat = Freddie Mercury?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ok maybe not exactly... thats one of those situations where the A+b=C thing doesnt apply.

"Borat" star Sacha Baron Cohen is set to play flamboyant rocker Freddie Mercury in a dramatic feature focusing on his glory days as the frontman of Queen, its producers said on Thursday.

The untitled film is being written by Peter Morgan, the British scribe behind "The Queen" and "The Last King of Scotland." No director is attached yet.

Shooting will begin next year, said producer Graham King, whose GK Films is partnering on the project with Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal's Tribeca Productions, and Queen manager Jim Beach.

The project has the cooperation of Mercury's estate and the three surviving members of Queen, a spokeswoman for GK Films said. Guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor will oversee the musical content of the film, which will feature both original Queen music and Mercury solo music. (Bassist John Deacon has retired from the music industry.)

The film will focus on a period of a few years leading up to what was arguably Queen's greatest moment: its performance at the Live Aid charity concert in 1985, when the band mesmerized London's Wembley Stadium and a worldwide TV audience with such hits as "We Will Rock You" and "Radio Ga Ga."

"Borat" star to play Freddie Mercury in movie - omg! news on Yahoo!

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
I can't take that guy seriously. Freddie Mercury deserves a genuinely great actor, and I don't think a comedian (as good a SBC is) can cut it. its like asking Will Ferrel to star in W.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This has been in talks for a while, and in all honesty I don't know what to expect. He sort of looks like him, I guess. Can he portray the legendary Murcery? Only time will tell, I'll definitely watch this movie since I'm a huge fan of Freddy, but I won't be going there with high expectations.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I can't take that guy seriously. Freddie Mercury deserves a genuinely great actor, and I don't think a comedian (as good a SBC is) can cut it. its like asking Will Ferrel to star in W.
I disagree, I thought he was good in Sweeney Todd, even if it was only a bit part.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think it largely just depends on in what spirit do they want to capture Freddie Mercury. If they want a dark sided, way to serious version, then Sacha Baron Cohen is the wrong choice. However if they want to capture a more uplifting side like I believe they do judging by the article... then I think Sacha will do just fine.

Remember, nobody thought Arnold would do worth a damn in Comedy... Action was his thing and he better stay there! He taught people a lesson that just because you have a history in one facet of the industry... doesnt mean you lack the skill to be successful in the other ones.

I'd be interested to see how Sacha does. He has no serious movies or roles on his resume, so its an open book. I wouldn't judge him immediately.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Sweeney Todd wasnt necessarily what I'd consider a Drama / Serious movie. And I think by playwrite / musical standards its falls under "comedy" before tragedy :hah:

Although it wasnt necessarily a direct comedy... Sacha's role wasnt that far from his standard light hearted track record. I dont consider that a strong enough sampling of his ability to take Biographical Role serious.

What I do have confidence in is the fact that Sacha Becomes his character. Thats something I believe is very obvious. He is Ali G, Borat, Bruno, and Sacha Baron Cohen all at once. He draws parallels of himself, if I were to see Sacha I wouldnt say "Hey look its borat" and if I were to see Borat I wouldnt think "hey look its Sacha Baron Cohen" and most importantly, when I saw Borat I didnt think "Hey its Ali G". What I'm getting at is I have confidence that Sacha Baron Cohen will Submerge himself deep enough into the character he's slotted to play that he will play that person to the best of his ability.

He is far from the "Tom Cruise Playing Tom Cruise Playing a Spy" kinda syndrome.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I agree with you Ice. I know it's kind of hard to imagine him playing a revered character especially when you see Borat in him, but he has received awards for his acting performance before. I think he'll surprise the detractors and give us a good Freddy Mercury performance.