• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Books you haven't finished

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I got this thread idea from whiteravens thread about what to do with books you haven't read.

Do you stop reading books after starting them if they didn't capture your interest?
Which books have you started but stopped before finishing them?

For me, the books I was excited to read but quit reading before I finished them are:

1) Da Vinci Code - I loved Angels and Demons, but the whole plot of Da Vinci Code was absolute rubbish and I just couldn't read one more page.
2) Twilight - I was excited about this series after the first movie came out and borrowed the book from a friend (thank goodness I didn't buy it). I got less than 3 chapters in before throwing it away as well.
3) 50 Shades of Grey - Like everyone else, I was curious to read these books to know what the hype was all about. I kept pushing through hoping it would get better and that it would be ok once a plot or some background story is revealed. It didn't get better. And the writing style is pathetic. This one I didn't even finish to a point. I literally decided mid sentence on some random page in the middle of a chapter and just closed it and gave it to someone else who wanted it. I warned them it's horrible. Not sure if they read it.

These are the ones I can think of right now. I am not the biggest reader ever, so these are probably the only ones I quit.

Elanor

Registered Member
I am sure there are lots, but the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

- Shadow of Night: It is the 2nd book in a trilogy, I loved the first book, A Discovery of Witches, but this one just didn't grab me, and it was quite predictable. I think I stopped reading it half way through about a year ago. I have been meaning to finish it but have read things much more interesting. I may yet go back to it. I am not even sure if the 3rd book has been published yet.
- Game of Thrones: I started it months ago, I have been enjoying it but I have to be in the right mood for it. Haven't picked it up for a few months, but it is one I will more than likely go back to when I have nothing else to read.
- The Magus: This is one of the weirdest books I have ever tried to read. I enjoyed it, but it takes a lot of brain power to get through. I decided to leave it for while and go back to it, but I never did.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I think it was called Eldest. The second book in that dragon series, the first one is called Eragon. I read the first one and I didn't love it, but for some reason I tried to read the second one too and I just got bored and couldn't finish it.

That's the only one I can think of right now. There are heaps though.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I actually can't think of a single book that I have never finished. I think it kicks something out in my OCD, and once I have started it, I cannot start another book before I finish that one.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
The only book I've neglected to finish in my life is Down and Out in Paris and London. I lost my copy of the book when I finished the Paris section and I never purchased the digital copy. It's very high on my list of books to read and I really enjoyed the first half of the novel.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I knew there had to be one more. I also didn't finish Eat, Pray, Love. It received high praises from my friends and I thought I would enjoy it, but it was really not that good.

Elanor

Registered Member
I think it was called Eldest. The second book in that dragon series, the first one is called Eragon. I read the first one and I didn't love it, but for some reason I tried to read the second one too and I just got bored and couldn't finish it.

That's the only one I can think of right now. There are heaps though.
This has reminded me that I never finished Eragon, let alone got to the next book in the series. I thought I would like it, but I found my mind wandering whenever I picked it up to read.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
This has reminded me that I never finished Eragon, let alone got to the next book in the series. I thought I would like it, but I found my mind wandering whenever I picked it up to read.
I've heard good things of Eragon. I do want to start that series soonish. Were you maybe just not in the mood for it at the time?

Elanor

Registered Member
I've heard good things of Eragon. I do want to start that series soonish. Were you maybe just not in the mood for it at the time?
It's possible. I liked the concept of the story, and my cousin recommended it as as she loved it, so I thought I would give it a go. I was quite surprised when I didn't finish it, but I may try again at some point.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The only one that I can remember starting and not finishing at the moment was the first Game of Thrones book. I found it kind of hard to get into after having already seen the TV series, but I do want to go back and try to read it again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Konshentz Reading 9
Mirage Reading 3
Impaired Reading 1
AmericanMusic Reading 5
MissMe Reading 7