Books that killed Drama *SPOILERS!!!!*

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by JAdams, Oct 1, 2009.

1. JAdams

JAdams Registered Member

WARNING! THIS CONTAINES EXTREME SPOILERS ABOUT MID-WAY INTO THE BOOK!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK!! REPEAT!! THIS CONTAINS EXTREME SPOILERS!!!!

So I bought Dan Brown's new book The Lost Symbol continuing Robert Langdon's story and read it. It was a good read, an exciting heart-pumping thriller until about mid-way into the book.

But when I got half-way across (ie 95% of the way there), something happened...well, I'll explain in spoiler tags:

Langdon and his companion Kathrine Solomon are kidnapped by this freakishly-huge tattoo guy with ties to Mason (sp?) cult. Langdon's locked up in a coffin and water is entering it. Dan Brown describes it as excruciatingly tragic as he possibly can and pretty much writes it like Langdon died in the water-filled coffin. At first, I was stunned, wondering "omg! Who's gonna solve the mystery now!" but whoops! Turns out Langdon didn't die at all. He merely passed out in breathable liquid and it takes him a while to recupirate before he's up and kicking again.

I know Dan Brown probably didn't want to kill Langdon off, but still, we had no previous mention of breathable liquid, no nothing. I actually believed Langdon was dying and that perhaps the story was going to continue through Kathrine's POV as she strives to avenge Langdon's death and possibly continue his legacy.

Basically, I feel like I've been Deux Ex Machina'd in a colossial way. I'm glad Langdon's alive, sure, but I think Dan just killed that intense, dramatic, tragic feel that he had going on with Langdon's 'death' so that disappointment of "way to go, author, killing the drama!" overrides the happiness that Langdon's OK. I mean, if you're gonna write your book that it appears that the main character had just died, then at least write it with subtle forshadowing of his rescue/revival/not-being-dead. Had he mentioned breathable liquid before this event, I would have put that into consideration and wouldn't have felt so shocked when it came to pass.

I just feel cheated. >___> Don't think I want to continue the book.

For those who read the book all the way, how did you feel about it? If you felt the same way as I did about another book, feel free to share (but put it in spoilers).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009

2. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

well, I haven't read the book, but breathable liquid is a real thing, it just doesn't work the greatest