• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Books Read in 2020

Konshentz

Konshentz
I like lists. And this is a thread where you can post a list of everything you've read in 2020. You can also rate them or do whatever you'd like. Having it all in one (or maybe a few, can't remember how long we can edit posts for) posts makes me feel better. Haha.

So... what have you read this year?

1.) The Office: An Oral History by Andy Greene - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
2.) If It Bleeds by Stephen King - ⭐⭐⭐
3.) The Drop by Dennis LeHane - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
4.) Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan - ⭐
5.) Coronado: Stories by Dennis LeHane - ⭐⭐⭐
6.) Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
7.) Animal Farm by George Orwell - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
8.) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - ⭐⭐
9.) Mystic River by Dennis LeHane - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Impaired

Registered Member
Voices from Chernobyl by Svetlana Alexievich
What do you care what other people think? by Richard Feynman
Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King
Jackie Chan's autobiography
Pineapple Grenade by Tim Dorsey
The Fireman by Joe Hill
I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle Macnamara
can't think of anymore, although I read constantly, buy books and audiobooks constantly, I love books

a couple of science fiction short story complilations and I subscribe to Heavy Metal.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Nice one. Mine are mostly novels that I buy whenever I travel (for reading on the plane or hotel). Will get back here when I get home and see my library.

asp3

Registered Member
For some reason I've been unable to get motivated to read a lot this year.

Back in January I read "When I Grow Up..." by Juliana Hatfield and really enjoyed that.

I recently got into The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal and finished it in a few days. It was a very enjoyable and riveting book for me. I look forward to reading her next book which continues the story.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Reading update:

1. The Office: An Oral History by Andy Greene - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
2. If It Bleeds by Stephen King - ⭐⭐⭐
3. The Drop by Dennis LeHane - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
4. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan - ⭐
5. Coronado: Stories by Dennis LeHane - ⭐⭐⭐
6. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
7. Animal Farm by George Orwell - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams - ⭐⭐
9. Mystic River by Dennis LeHane - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
10. The Rap Year Book by Shea Serrano - ⭐⭐⭐
11. Movies (And Other Things) by Shea Serrano - ⭐⭐⭐
12. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson - ⭐⭐
13. The Road by Cormac McCarthy - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
14. A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway - ⭐⭐
15. Alan Wake by Rick Burroughs - ⭐⭐
16. Tell Me to Stop by Charlotte Byrd - ⭐
17. No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy - ⭐⭐⭐⭐
18. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
19. City of Thieves by David Benioff - ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

'City of Thieves' is my favorite of the books I have read so far this year. It's so good that I almost want to forgive Benioff for what he did to Game of Thrones. Almost.

'Tell Me to Stop' is easily the worst so far (and quite possibly the worst book I have ever read). My boss recommended it and that should have been the first giant red flag. She's pushing me to finish the entire series and I don't know if I hate myself enough to do that. I'd deserve another raise for it. Haha.

Currently I am about a quarter of the way through 'Sag Harbor' by Colson Whitehead. I am really enjoying his writing style.

MainerMikeBrown

Registered Member
I haven't done much reading this year. And when I have read this year, it's practically always been reading information on the internet, such as reading articles on my favorite sports team, the New England Patriots.

About a week ago, I did read a little bit of a book called Patriot Reign, a book written years ago about the Patriots.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
So far this year I've read:

1. Under the Banner of Heaven - Jon Krakauer
2. The Moral Landscape - Sam Harris
3. Not in God's Name - Rabbi Jonathan Sacks
4. Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered - Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark
5. Inside the Mind of BTK - John E Douglas and Johnny Dodd
6. Sapiens - Yuval Noah Harari
7. Mindhunter - John E Douglas and Mark Olshaker
8. Lost Connections - Johann Hari
9. Inside Out - Demi Moore
10. Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell
11. Mating in Captivity - Esther Perel
12. The Killer Across the Table - John E Douglas and Mark Olshaker

I'm currently busy with The Hero with a Thousand Faces

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Really loved Sapiens, but I'd read some other books that all together had similar information. Sapiens put it all together in one place.
Have you read his follow up yet - Homo Deus? I want to get to that one too. Any of the others that are similar that you would recommend?

asp3

Registered Member
Have you read his follow up yet - Homo Deus? I want to get to that one too. Any of the others that are similar that you would recommend?
I hadn't heard of it. I'll see if I can find a copy at the library. I prefer electronic books these days so sometimes there's a wait if the book is in the collection. Otherwise I might try to pick up a physical version.