• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Book suggestions?

SammyMay

Registered Member
It has been a long time since I have read a book. I find myself wandering around Chapters or Indigo, looking for a book to buy, but just dont know where to start.

Im in a reading rut!

Any suggestions for books to read?
Im not particular to horror or romance novels.

I like stories that make me think.
Also, non fiction.

And biographies often catch my eye as well.

Starfire86

Registered Member
If you haven't read it yet, A Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein.
American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Parasite

Registered Member
Well, I have a horror book in mind, BUT...it's probably unlike any other book you've read. It's House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, which is basically about a family who moves into a house in Virginia which seems to be bigger on the inside than on the outside. What's so unique about it is the fact that the writing layout/style is unusual; only a few words in some pages, some words are colored, etc. Also, words are sometimes rearranged to mirror certain events in the story, giving you a clausterphobic feeling.

SammyMay

Registered Member
Well, I have a horror book in mind, BUT...it's probably unlike any other book you've read. It's House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, which is basically about a family who moves into a house in Virginia which seems to be bigger on the inside than on the outside. What's so unique about it is the fact that the writing layout/style is unusual; only a few words in some pages, some words are colored, etc. Also, words are sometimes rearranged to mirror certain events in the story, giving you a clausterphobic feeling.
i really like the sounds of this book.
ill be sure to grab this one. ill get it asap and let you know what i think :)

thanks for the suggestion. im in the mood for smething different.

butty92

Registered Member
Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist is a fantastic read. It is a very powerful book touching on issues such as bullying, gender, paedophillia and alcoholism. The characterization is very interesting and there are some very moving and disturbing graphic images portrayed throughout the book.

It is a must read, far better than the film. At first sight you would think this books is just a standard vampire/horror genre but elements of social realism and rom/com can be brought into it as well.

Handling The Undead by the same author is worth a read as well.

Metoria

Registered Member
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho I liked that one. It made you think and was full of philosophy

any kind of classics I suppose they are the best
and I guess Dorian Gray was always a good one.

Q_Mathews

Registered Member
If you're into fantasy novels that have multiple character/plot lines I recommend reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, and the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Both are well written and make you think.